Temporary coop made of truck caps...will it work?

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
I have to do a total rebulid of my coop this spring/summer..

I was brain storming about what materials i have on hand, what i can get for free, ect...

TRUCK CAPS.... you know those things that will enclose the back of a pick up truck

if i get 2 (you find them all the time for free on freecycle, or kijiji or craigs list)..If i take one and put it down on the grass...cut the top off but keep the back window in tact....put wood bars across the cut opening (roosts)...then take the second and secure it to the top so now they are one on top of the other making it 2 truck caps tall....

i can let the chickens out to free range through the bottom window...i can just tip it on its side to collect the eggs that will hopefully be laid in temporary nests that are inside...and when its time for a cleaning...i can just pick it up and move it like a tractor.

I plan on putting this closer to the house to deter any predators...(knock on wood i have never had a predator issue i think there is to much free food in the area..like the garbage cans)..

do you think it will work for a few weeks...housing 10 hens that free range daily....
fl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I did this years ago when i first got chickens. But a word to the wise somehow attach your nestboxes on the outside with a lid. Lifting that thing up everyday will be a pain and trust me the smell under there on a hot day. EWWWW My girls did well in it.

should I put a vent type thing...on the top that will allow the heat to escape but will not allow the rain in?

OOO and i have an idea about the nests...if i can get a cap with the sliding windows on the sides i can attach my nests there then i can use the windows as collection windows....good thinkin coopcrazy

I bought a chicken last year from a guy that had built a coop using the truck cap as the top,
it worked out really well and his chickens loved it. He used the windows for ventilation, I cant remember where his nest boxes were though. Good luck with it and post pics when you are done!

Nancy

hey i dont care if its pretty or not....

hey heres a thought maybe i will win the ugly's coop contest...lol
I just need it to function while then chicken hilton is being bulit

maybe it will turn into a quarantine area when i get more chickens...hmmmm now the ideas are flowin again......

(we need a smiley face where we are planing something evil...or hands rubbing together)

they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....I see nothing wrong with using a camper shell....placed in the right area, kept clean around it.... great! Chickens stay dry and warm and you haven't spent a lot of money on it.
HappyHatch'en

Back
Top Bottom