Temporary coop to house hens from day 1 to laying age

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sixgun, Jan 17, 2011.

1. sixgun

sixgun New Egg

Jan 21, 2010
    My wife and I get a 25 hen delivery each spring and up until this spring we have been using our neighbors' coop to rear the chicks until they are just ready to lay, at which point we harvest the previous spring's group for the freezer. Our neighbors are expanding their operations and will be needing the space from this point forward.

So, I have a plan to build a coop on wheels (probably on an old trailer frame) that is just large enough to house the birds for about 18 weeks or so. I was thinking of making it about 50 sf, with ample roost space. I know that 2 sf interior space per bird is less than the suggested amount, but the weather will be such that most time will be spent in a 200 sf run. Will the girls be OK under these conditions for that length of time? The final coop size is yet to be determined, and will depend upon the frame that it's built upon.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That sounds like an awfully big trailer to pull, but I guess you have the equipment to do so. Why would it be temporary? Because it's mobile? Or just for a single, six month period?

I'm not a construction expert (as evidenced by the two coops I've built), so I cannot comment on that portion, but I was interested in your idea .... because it sounds interesting. I'm interested in things outside of my own experiences. [​IMG]

3. sixgun

sixgun New Egg

Jan 21, 2010
    It will be temporary, when they are about to lay the hens will move into the the adult coop (as the previous tenants will have just moved out). Then I will store the "starter" coop behind the barn until the following spring and we'll do it all over again.

I intend to make the coop small and light enough to fit into my garage so we can tend to the chicks in a safe and controlled environment. Also, though I will make it very sturdy it will be as light as possible and my tractor should have no problem moving it around the yard.

...and I'd say you did a fine job on your coop. Any complaints from the tenants? I'm guessing not.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by