Temporary Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Newbie101, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Newbie101

Newbie101 New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    So my sister raises chickens (and I want to start, still need to convince my parents) and some of them recently stopped laying. I want to get her 1 or 2 chicks. The problem is that I live on the Oregon coast. Its rainy and cold most of the time. I may be able to house the chicks in the garage but, sadly, they may have to live in the backyard (where it is rainy and gross outside). And there are two variables: I have two hound dogs and I'm not quite sure how they would react. So, what would you all suggest I do (What would work for a temporary coop? What kind of heating do they need? What would I need to cover the bottom of the temporary coop with? Where would be the best place to put the chicks?) It'll only be for a few days. Thanks a lot! I'm sure I'll be coming back here with a lot more questions once I convince my parents that we need chickens for good [​IMG]

2. kelser01

kelser01 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2011
    From what I read you can not mix baby chicks with adult hens. They need to be about the same size to intro so it might be a little less temporary than you think.

3. Newbie101

Newbie101 New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    My sister has a separate coop to raise chicks in. She raises them separately then introduces them into the flock later.

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

How old are you talking about?? If the chicks are pretty small, I'd just keep them inside in a box, or outside in your garage with a heat lamp in a dog kennel. You can tape cardboard around the sides of a wire dog kennel and keep all your pine shavings in it that way. Or if you have a solid plastic kennel, just tape cardboard over the lower portion of the door to keep the chips in. I would NOT put them outside with your dogs. They will eat them. Everything wants to eat them. If it's just for a couple of days, you can even just use a large plastic storage tub and put wire over the top. I use an old grate off of a grill that I got rid of for my brooder.

5. Newbie101

Newbie101 New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    If I were to put them outside then I would put them in the fenced area away from my dogs... THANKS SO MUCH THIS REALLY HELPED [​IMG]

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Her chickens might be in molt so will return to laying in 3 months. If you want to get her a few more (if she wants and has room) look into point of lay pullets on craigslist or local to you here on BYC. Integrating two pullets would work. Otherwise you need a grow out coop for young chicks until they get to size.

A grow out coop can be quite simple as long as it locks down at night and has a flooring to prevent tunneling predators. (Disregard the grass floor shown below- wasn't finished with it yet just letting the wee ones out for day.)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Quote:Oh, nevermind...

A cardboard box in your bathroom with a lamp over half of it for heat as stated. A basic temporary brooder is what your looking for [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by