Temporary Fence panels and Pens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NellaBean, Jul 15, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I recently decided to build some temporary fence panels so I can build moveable temporary pens for baby chicks to have day trips outside, temporary isolation pens, temporary breeding pen, etc.

First I built panels that were 8 feet long. They are 3 feet tall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I hinged them together in sets of 2 panels. The opposite ends have screw eyes and "drop pins" to hold them together as needed.

I set them up under a tree temporarily

[​IMG]

This week I decided to build some dividers. I built a 5th panel that is 8 feet long....plus two that are just under 4 feet.

Tada!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I now have 4 pens that are 4x4 and 3 feet tall. I will temporarily throw a tarp over it.....and if I decide to make a semi-permanent pen, will build a hinged roof setup. Considering doing that and adding little wooden "houses" inside each to use as Rooster Pens.

I figured out costs on these....including wood, fencing, screws, washers and hinges as needed.....

$7 per 4 foot panel
    $14 per 8 foot panel

Meaning my 4 pen setup as made above cost me $84. This includes 10% over actual cost to account for tax and minimal waste.

Obviously this is not predator proof....however assuming it is used only for a day pen (within my yard that has a perimeter fence as well) or gets secure night areas added, it should be fine for my uses.

2. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    How do you get in and out of them ..

4. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    You don't.......they are only 3 feet tall and will have a hinged roof....so you can just lean over the side and/or use a net to herd them in the right direction.

5. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I seeeeeeeeeee .. lol. **taking another sip of cofffee**

I'm likin' them ...

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Those are great! What size wood?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  7. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    It's all 2x2's.

8. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:LOL I am short I would end up flipping over into them I am barely 5ft tall

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by