Temporary food shelter (and chicken shelter)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pawsplus, Sep 20, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    So my young ones keep refusing to go into their Mini Cooper except at night. I don't understand it! I leave food in there in case it rains and when I return even if it was GREAT food it's never gone. The same food left in the run is gone in a flash.

We hadn't had much rain but this week I knew we would have some so I rigged up this quicky shelter. It's just a 2x2 piece of exterior grade plywood, which has 2 holes drilled on 2 sides. Through those holes I ran heavy wire and I wired it to the sides of the run in the corner.

Then I put a screweye in at the point and attached a piece of cable to it with a clip on the end. The clip attaches to the pen, holding that corner up. It seems to work--it rained yesterday, and when I got home the chix were dry and their food had been eaten. [​IMG]

Thought this might be useful for someone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closeup showing cable attachment:

[​IMG]

2. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    I don't see any evidence that they have been on top of the board - and that is what I expected. My own girls like to be out in the weather - preferring a bush or tree to their night house. [​IMG]

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    No, I don't think they have been up there--but they're young and not yet roosting very high. I don't mind if they CHOOSE to be out in the rain--just wanted them to have a place they would go into if they wanted/needed to. For some reason they won't go in their little coop during the day even for favorite treats, so I felt they needed another option. [​IMG]

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:great idea! Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by