Temporary leg paralysis mystery

Ozzychickens

Hatching
Feb 11, 2021
Can anyone solve the mystery of what has happens to my chickens? 2 cases of illness back to back, similar but very different also. Not sure if they're connected or if its a huge coincidence.

History
I have had 3 x battery hens for around 6 months. Before that they belonged to a friend for 4 months. I think they are aprox. 2 years old and have not had any issues until now, apart from mites which I treated when I got them.

Mystery 1
It all started when I introduced a new cockerel, aprox. 3 years old, got him from a friend who is a very experienced and knowledgeable chicken keeper and she has had him his whole life. When he got to mine, he was fine for a few days and then started to get slower and sleepier. He was very wobbly and preferred to sit down and would just fall asleep. Within 2 days he was drooling a really smelly drool, had weepy eyes and his face was hot to the touch. Not eating, not drinking, completely out of it. I retuned him to the friend for a week and he was isolated and crop fed on Neocare. After a week, he was starting to stand up but still hot, weepy eyes and smelly. Smelled like infection. I got him back and started him on a course of antibiotics and crop fed him for a further day and then he started to recover. Within 3 days he made a full recovery, although he is still a tiny bit wobbly. I don't think that will ever go (neurological?).

Mystery 2
About a week later, I opened up the coop one morning to find one of my chickens lying on the floor. She had been completely fine the day before. Her legs were completely paralysed now, feet flat not curled. Her eyes were bright, not watery, skin pale, wings dropped, panting (although it was 30C+ and high humidity),no drool and no temperature and she was very sleepy. She would still drink a bit but not eat. I crop fed her for 3-4 days on Wombaroo First Aid for Birds and Neocare. The first day she was dead to the world, second day she had a peck of seed and was a bit less sleepy, by the third day if I stood her up she would stand for a second before flopping down. Fourth day she started walking a few steps, and then she just made a full recovery.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on? Are the two likely connected? They were similar but so different. 1)Marek's? They are both 2 years+, he wasn't paralysed, just no balance. She has always had a flopped comb, but she's ex battery (vaccinated) and she recovered from the paralysis.
2)Vitamins? The other girls are fine though, they're fed on layer pellets, a variety of seeds and daily scraps and greens, nothing rotten. 3) Spider/snake/paralysis tick bite?

I'm stumped! These pics are after her recovery.
chook.jpg
chook2.jpg

The rooster may have had infectious coryza, a respiratory illness that smells very bad.

The hen could have been suffering from shock. It mimics Marek's and other neurological disorders. After treatment with electrolytes with sugar, there's usually a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom