Temporary Pen

Cree

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 14, 2013
Lino Lakes, MN
Hey guys,

I just thought I'd post some pics of the temporary pen I had to build for my chicks. I planned on having the coop fully built this fall, but due to some unforeseen circumstances I have to wait until closer to spring. We hatched them about 2 months ago and they have been staying in an extra room in an old ferret cage that just started to get a little too small. So now they are staying in my garage in this pen. I didn't want to spend much, if any, money on a temporary pen. There is a shipping company close to my house that had a sign for free pallets so I grabbed as many as my car could hold. I was going to break them down and try to build something from the wood but when I saw they had small half pallets I thought they'd be perfect. I broke one pallet apart and used that wood to tie the rest together so they'd hold each other up. I had a roll of corrugate cardboard leftover from another project so I taped that to the concrete to provide some insulation from the concrete. Then I put down a tarp to be sure they wouldn't soil the cardboard or stain the floor. The pallets are on their sides and I screwed boards to the tops to hold them together. The garage isn't heated so I put the heat lamp in the corner until they are a little bigger and have more feathers.

I used wood shavings as a bedding and screwed a board to the corner to hold their food and water dishes. There is also 4 screws in the board to keep the chicks from knocking the dishes over.

I split a board in half to use as a roost and put a cardboard box in the corner as a nesting box. They can fly pretty well so I had to use some old wire fencing as a top to keep them from getting out. The garage is insulated so there aren't any drafts and it stays pretty warm on it's own.

I am a former fire fighter so I have a fear of burning my garage down. I put in to clips to hold the cord taught in case the clamp were to let go, the bulb won't be laying in the shavings.

The nice thing is I didn't have to spend a dime on this project which was very nice. I'm interested in any input you guys have. They should only have to be in it for a few months till I can get the lumber and things I need for the coop.

Thanks and God bless,

Jake

P.S. I have 4 Ameracauna/White Leghorn roos that will eventually have to go, so if anyone knows someone who is looking for roos in the Twin Cities area let me know.

Great job on the temporary pen, free is best! Reduce, reuse, and recycle. We built our coops, fences, stalls, and chicken cages
out of free lumber and tin sheeting that my husband got from work when they were doing a remodeling job. I have heard this before, build your coop bigger than u think you will need. I started with 6 chickens and now I have 25, and I plan on getting more in the spring. ;)

Great job! I used old used pallets to make my new run this year. Your pallets look new, good for you. Last year my run was shorter and smaller.

So this year I took everything apart and stacked pallets for taller walls to fit me standing up. I covered with a tin roof for shade and protection in the winter.

The new run. (This area used to be a horse corral, that is why there is the taller roof)

The coop was made out of scrap wood mostly. It's not pretty but it works. I had to raise the roof this year because I was always hitting my head in the doorway. Next year I plan to do some more additions in the yard for a run of meat chickens.

That run looks great! I am actually re-evaluating my current plans and may do almost exactly this. It seems much cheaper and easier. I even like the rustic look of the pallets and I have a large supply of them. My only concern is winters get quite cold and windy up here in the barren North
smile.png
. The coop should be nice and draft tight, so maybe this would be fine. Thanks for the pics and ideas.

Back
Top Bottom