Temporary pens for raising meat birds in

tinkatwerp

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
So I recently received my wildlife possession permit that is going to allow me to raise coturnix quail. I had planned on keeping about 20 birds in an outdoor pen with about 23 square feet (plus the henhouse), but it turns our that the game and fish department wants me to have 4 square feet per bird. That means I'm reduced from being able to have 20 birds I can only keep 5. That's about how many breeders/egg layers I was planning on keeping, but that leaves no room for growing out meat birds. I don't really want to have a huge permanent 40 square foot structure for 10 itty bitty little birds. Do you have any ideas on how to raise meat quail without converting my whole back yard into an aviary?

Where do you live that they consider a Coturnix Quail as a game bird? I believe they are thinking you are raising Bobwhite or other native species of quail that require 4sqft of space per bird. Have the Wildlife "experts" review this document.
James

Wyoming. It's pretty non negotiable I've already been through like 7 people at the game and fish office, they really don't care. If I want to keep quail legally I have to play by their rules.

You could build a pen out of OSB sheeting. It's $8.43 a sheet at Lowe's and 3-8' 2x4's ripped at 1 1/16" that way you will get 3 pieces per 2x4 you could build a 4'x8' pen for around $40.00. I build my pens with these materials and they work great. Oh yeah I build my pens 12" high so they don't boink their heads. Hope this helps.

My pen out of cattle panels and bird netting. Chicken wire on the ends. I live in Montana, 20 miles from WY border and have valley quail.

Do you still use this? Do you put a roof over it? I live in Michigan and am thinking of building something very similar.

Back
Top Bottom