temporary roof leaking, wet pine shavings

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by downstownlady, Sep 7, 2010.

1. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    We have had some very heavy rains here the past two days...enough to cause leaking in the temporary roof. We haven't been able to put a perm one on yet...but we are at least close. In the meantime, the pine shavings are wet and I am not sure what to do. We put the igloo dog house we had that the dog won't go in for some reason to provide them a dry place to go, but short of that...what should I do. We are expecting rain tomorrow and the next day and it is just going to get worse. Any advise???

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Tarp! Quick! That's what I'd do. [​IMG]
    ETA: then shovel out the wet shavings and replace with dry ones. Your local feed store should sell some stall dry, or Sweet PDZ stall refresher, mix some in the bedding to help dry out the floor. Don't let it stay wet because that will cause a laundry list of problems.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Go buy a good tarp and cover over the affected area, ensuring it is well attached.......

4. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    The beautiful thing about pine shavings is that they absorb water and dry fairly quickly...I'd add some dry ones to help with the drying/absorption process until you finish the roof and then remove the shavings and start with fresh once you get the roof done-assuming it won't be a month or two until done. You would have to have a major roof leak to cause huge problems. A quick clean up with clorox and a little air dry before new shavings would assure you there will be no black mold later.

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    No really, the pine shavings should be replaced. If you leave them wet and hope that they will dry out you are asking for problems. Trust me, been there and done that.

6. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    Thank you...I will do that. I hate that we haven't got the roof on, but we have to wait until it stops raining. I will get another tarp and throw over it all and hopefully we can get it done as soon as it stops. It just figures that it woud rain when we planned the roofing project.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by