Tempromental flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heatherschicks1, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Heatherschicks1

Heatherschicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2014
    So I have flock of 16 chickens and my rooster. I had one and the previous owners had a coops set up with no roost??? Then I rescued a rooster and accumulated 15 chickens and then I had my flock. Tried to have them roost they wouldn't and kept nesting in the boxes and on the top since they had it set up with way to many boxes and right on the plywood

[​IMG]
    So we made the roost that's in my profile pic and blocked off the top so they have 5 nesting boxes which I think more than enough. I got containers for the nesting boxes had fresh hay etc.... They won't stop dumping them out lol they just don't like them and they had slowed down on egg production once I stopped free raining because it was getting so cold. Then I put som hay in they coop for a treat and I have noticed now they have made nests of the hay won't lay in the boxes and are laying on the floor... So I put the hay in the boxes... Nope they dumped them again and laid on the floor again.... Any advice???

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    a couple of your questions i am not quite understanding. the nest boxes you have there need a front. you wont keep nesting material in them without one. I have the same set up as your picture except with a 4-5 inch board across the front of it. as far as roosting the roost has to be the highest thing in there. if the boxes are higher that is where they will go. get you some fake eggs and put them (keep them) in the boxes you want them to lay in. I use pine shavings in mine. hope this helps.

3. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    The top that's in the pictures have blocks off so the roost is the highest point now that was a before picture. And in the spots you see I put plastic tubs with at first straw which they kept kicking the entire tub I put in there onto the floor. Then they were laying in the hay not the nesting boxes so I put hay in the nesting boxes since they had been trying to lay on it on the floor and they just dumped the containers out again an laid there eggs on the floor :/

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    they sound very frisky . LOL thats about all i got. put a lip on the box so they cant knock it out , put the egg in it and get rid of the rest. I have one that still insists on laying in the floor. if its not to dirty i pick it up and wash it . if it is the barn kittens get a treat

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I put plastic dish pans in my nest box area. they were well secured in a 2 x 4 frame which fit closely to the bottom of the pans on all 4 sides, but the girls would perch on the edge of the pan, tipping it, before going in to lay their eggs. I imagine that a tippy box would not be perceived as a secure place to place an egg. So, I used screws and fender washers to screw each box to the 2 x 4. It only took one screw/box to secure them. If I need to remove the dish pans for any reason, I'll just have to carry a drill out to the coop to remove those screws. i also found that it helped the nest box bedding to stay in place better if I put a piece of cardboard in the dish pan before the bedding. Also helps insulate those eggs from freezing.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    card board is a great idea! been trying to collect some eggs for the bator and i am too early or too late and they are freezing. I am going to gather some and give this a whirl. !!![​IMG]

7. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    The dish bucket is pretty much what I have they are just not screwed in... Sometimes my girls break the eggs so I wanted something I could take out and clean..they just are being a pain in the butt lol just wasn't sure how to correct it :/

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can you post a pic of the nest pans as they are now....I might be able to make a suggestion to improve the situation.

9. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    Sure I will :)

10. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    Here is before they mess them up... With hay in the boxes
    [​IMG]

This is when they mess them up

[​IMG]

And this is there alternative to the nesting boxes they don't seem to like