temps are at 110 plus. are my eggs ok to eat after all day in sun?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duffy01, Jun 24, 2011.

1. duffy01

duffy01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2010
    We live in Scottsdale AZ and the temps are up there. The eggs are sometimes not collected till after 5 PM. their hot! are they still safe to eat if I wash and put in frig right a way?

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    To test and see if they are still good, put them in a cup of water.. if they sink, still good, if they float= not good. I think those eggs are still good.

3. TheWaddler

TheWaddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Yes they should be ok to eat. We just ate eggs yesterday that had been in 103+ weather for 5 or so days because we found a clutch of eggs that had been laid outside the nest boxes (recent move so they still a little confused). I had guest over and they also ate the eggs with no problem.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    We have similar weather here in Louisiana and I've never had one go bad just because it sat in the nest all day!!

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

We've eaten eggs that were partially baked from being out in the hot Texas sun.. uhm... I don't think they killed us.....

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've been eating mine for the three summers I've had chickens here.

7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I think they're ok, but I also think that exposure to that level of heat will diminish their keeping potential. If the air temp is 110 and they're in the sun, I bet the eggs can get to 130 or more, but it will depend on the shell color, the type of substrate they're sitting on, etc.

If it were me, I'd get them chilled and in the fridge asap, and try to use them within about a week. Just to be on the safe side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by