Temps are climbing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crooked stripe, Feb 4, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    My bator temps are climbing from 99.5 to 101 . Im on day 21 and no sighs of life. Are the climbing temps an indication of hatching? John

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, my temps never climb at the end. If they were up when you checked after overnight, the lever on a wafer thermostat is metal and will transfer cold from a cool room into the wafer, making it think the heater needs to stay on longer. Cover that lever.
    Also, if they continue to climb although you keep adjusting downward, the wafer may be shot, but that is probably not what's happening here. Smell through the vents and if you smell ether, the wafer is bad-just a tip.

3. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    My bator has a circut board under the knob. Is the wafer above that?

4. speckledhen

I'm sorry, I missed what bator you have. Do you have an automatic thermostat or a manual one?
    The wafer is attached to the thermostat, which looks like a black box. The wafer looks like a ribbed gold disc, but you wont have that if you have an automatic thermo.

5. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have a hovabator. It is adjustable. The adjustment shaft is soldered to the top of the circut board. No black box. John

6. speckledhen

John, you must have an automatic thermo, so your adjustment knob wont affect the temps. My info was for a manual thermostat. Not sure why your temps are rising.

7. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Thank you for your fast reply. I will just keep an eye on it. John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by