temps at 99.1 and 98.8(Update-day 14 candling!!!)

chickenlisa

Invincible Summer
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
My Genesis 1588 is running a tiny bit low I think. I have 2 accurites in it, and the temps are hovering around 99 for the last day or so...(day 5 into 6 for the chicken eggs and day 12 into 13 for the duck eggs.) The duck eggs show great growth and development since day 7. I wrote earlier about it in my green and brown eggs thread. Is there anything I should do re the temps? My humidity has been in the 55-57% range. I did add hot water this morning to bump it back up to that when it dipped down and I thought the heat in the water would help the temp to rise. It really hasn't. The accurites are stood on their sides along the side walls. Does anyone lay them on the ggs themselves? The thermometer that came with the bator says 100.
Help?
Lisa

Last edited:
I put my Acurites right next to the eggs & the probe, on top of the eggs.....

I'm not sure about the lower temps in your Genesis, other than--what is the room temp? I find my bators work best at about 75 degrees in the room....

In my experience (which isn't that expansive), lower temps are better tolerated than higher temps which seem to kill the developing chicks/ducklings faster & more quickly than lower temps....

the room is starting out about 67 and goes up to 71 or 72 depending on the temp outdoors. Its 71 right now in here. I'll move the accurites...Thanks
Lisa

Last edited:
Update: its day 14 for my duck eggs and day 7 for the chicken eggs. We (DD and I) just candled them and 19 out of 20 duck eggs were still good. Yay! We saw a dark colored baby(?) moving around in each one. We opened the clear egg and the yolk was broken and runny with nothing in it otherwise. The 7 April Swap eggs are brown and 3 look to be clear, but I'll leave them in and wait and see. 4 seemed to have veins and a dark little blob inside. Go surprise babies-GO!
My 3 Green eggs I just can't tell. Those stay in and we'll wait and see with them. The 12 banty Partridge, Buff, and Splash Silkies and Showgirls eggs (from Ebay) seem to be doing great. A couple of them might look clear, but again I'm not sure as they are brown eggs.
So we're psyched! I took video of a few of the duck eggs and the movement inside of them and will try to post it on here, but not sure yet how to do that. Will check out photobucket's video upload....it was so awesome to see!
Having fun but trying to be patient and not expect too much!
Lisa

oh yes, I do have a question about last night's candling....some of the bantam eggs or my green eggs are very porous and its hard to see inside. Even on day 7 it was hard. Should I jsut leave them in and wait and see what happens? I will try to candle them again next week.
Lisa

I hate throwing out eggs unless I'm absolutly sure they are dead. Of coarse I also hate to throw out dead houseplants so maybe I'm just weird like that. If you are worried about them exploding just get a thin cheese cloth or guaze and rap them lightly. Remember to only use one layer and tuck it under the edges of the egg gently/loosly . That will help if it does explode. Put all the iffy onse together at one corner away from the good eggs and do not touch them again.
:cool:Good luck, Kristina

Back
Top Bottom