1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temps at top of bator and bellow???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Nov 30, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Hi!
    I am almost finished with my homemade styro-bator. All I need is to put the window in and add hum./temp gauge and I'm trying an idea that I found from someone of using a zip lock bag for the water wiggler thingy. [​IMG]
    Here's a pic of the bator:(this one isn't resent. I added an egg carton to hold the eggs in the turner now)
    [​IMG]

Once I get a hum./temp. gauge, I will see if temps. stay at around 99*F. in the water wiggler. I will keep the eggs in the turner until around day 18, then I will remove the turner(all I have to do is slide it out easily and place eggs on metal wire in the bottom) But I'm worried about temps. Will they change enough to harm the eggs when I place the eggs in the bottom for hatching? I know that the heat will rise, that way it may be a little cooler in bottom, but will it be so different that the eggs may not hatch? The light bulb is bellow the turner in the pic but it's not visible in the pic.

Any suggestions? I need to place the eggs in the bottom because when they begin to hatch, they can't hatch in the turner because the baby chicks can easily fall out. I couldn't put the turner lower because it was too wide.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    also, will hum. change?

3. laxrick

laxrick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    Princess Anne, MD
    That's pretty cool how you have the turner in there!

I use a stryofoam cooler, exactly like that one. One thing I've noticed is that where the eggs are in the bator really makes a difference as to what temperature it is. How that would work on the varying height of that turner is still kind of a mystery...

What I would do is fire it up, and check the wiggler temp in each position of the turner. Make sure its holding steady at the right temperature, and when you feel confidant that the temperature is holding correctly, place the wiggler on the grate around day 16 of the hatch to see what kind of temperatures you are seeing at the bottom of the bator. Then, on Day 18, when you move the eggs to the grate, you will know if you need to make any adjustments.

Good luck, and very good idea!

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Nice job on the turner. Does it have a wire bottem? Why not make a wire top for the turning tray and hatch in it. Just dont turn the last 3 days.

As far as the temp. depend on air flow.Even the GQF Sportman temp not the same on all trays, due to the way the air flow.

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Thanks for both replies! [​IMG] That's what I am probably gonna do, laxrick.
    mmm...Good thinking, deerman. But I am not sure if there would be enough room to make a wired roof over the turner. Otherwise it would be really really crowded in the turner. I'm just gonna see how temps. are up top and down in the bottom, then go from there.
    Thanks again! [​IMG]

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    There's no fan in the bator right now. It's still air.
    There isn't any wiring IN the turner. Right now an egg carton is in the turner, which is not in the pic. The wire is in the bottom, along with the water bowl for humidity.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  7. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Oh and there are two air vents on one side of the bator(you can see them in the picture) they are in the middle. not up top or in the bottom. does that change anything?
    And if you look closely, you can see the white light bulb under the turner, to the left of the bator. it sorta blends in with the white bator. [​IMG] That's where the light bulb is located.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:No fan, sorry to give you bad news. but the turner will not work like that in a still area.

Temp. will not be the same . ever inch from the heating unit will be a degree cooler.

Eggs need to be at the same level on still air incubators, really need to add a fan.

9. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:No fan, sorry to give you bad news. but the turner will not work like that in a still area.

Temp. will not be the same . ever inch from the heating unit will be a degree cooler.

Eggs need to be at the same level on still air incubators, really need to add a fan.

aww. shoot! i was hoping i wouldn't need a fan! [​IMG]
    Where can i get a fan from? I have heard of using those computer fan things, but where do i get one and how much do they cost???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by