TEMPs DOVE today!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by equus2, May 22, 2008.

1. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Darn it, again![​IMG]

Temps dove to 97.3 in one bator, 98.6 in another. These are water weasel readings.

Whadya think?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I think your eggs will be fine. What day are they on?

3. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

The bator that was at 97 or so....they are on Day 12. The other two.....at 98.4, are right at days 14 and 17.

I had about 3 temp dips last hatch, always caught it in about 3-4 hours, and had a GREAT hatch. 12 out of 15 shipped eggs.

thanks for the vote of confidence!

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I had a power outage in March during my first hatch. My temp went down to 80 for over 12 hours and I got 9 out of 24. They came on the 25th day. I didn't think I would get anything.
    My second hatch my temp went up to 110. I still had 18 out of 40.

I'm on my third. So far so good. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good Luck with yours. Let us know how it turns out.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I have had soooo much trouble with wide swings in the temp of my bator...from as low as 97 to as high as 103...this is the water weasel temp. It's only for 3-5 minutes at a time, but I fear that over the next 19 days it will add up to a big problem.

I've tried adding more ventilation holes, adding a jar of warm water as a heat sink, etc. I've adjusted the thermostat about 100 times.

I think I'm going to take out the thermostat and put the light bulb on a dimmer so that it stays on all the time. This will also help the humidity be more stable. Any other suggestions??? I have 6 silkie eggs in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by