Temps, How low is too low for how long????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pumpkinpup, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    My temp dropped yesterday to 96.3 and I thought I fixed it last night but have not been able to get it adjusted all day long either. How long can it remain in those levels and not kill the embryo? I'm on day 14.

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Probably several days actually. I wouldn't worry too much unless it drops below 96F. Just adjust it up slowly. You have more chance of killing them from high temps when trying to bring the temp up fast than leaving them a little low for a day or 2 while you slowly adjust it.

3. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, what Akane said. I might add that the lower temp for a few days may delay your hatch date a little bit, but they'll probably be fine.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Yah, at day 14 the chicks are more hardy than we think and can handle minor issues like that !! They might be delayed due to the drop in temp so if they dont hatch on day 21 give em a little extra time. Wouldn't worry to much !!! Good luck and keep us updated.

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I will be sure to keep you all posted on what is going on. I appreciate the wise words as I have never had this particular problem occur before and was not sure what to think about it.

6. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I have orps that are supposed to be hatching today and one has pipped, but I can't get my temps up above 96.3!!!
    I just put a space heater in here with them now, so hopefully they will come up!
    ~Rebecca

7. thegoogers

thegoogers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Cleveland, TN
    Awww...I hope they are fine! I am sure they are [​IMG] 1 more week! WOW! can't wait to see your chick pics [​IMG]

~Natasha

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    needmorechickens! :

I have orps that are supposed to be hatching today and one has pipped, but I can't get my temps up above 96.3!!!
    I just put a space heater in here with them now, so hopefully they will come up!
    ~Rebecca

Why cant you get your bator above that ?? Can you adjust it anymore ??​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by