Temps in coop for 4wk old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scoopy82, Jul 2, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    I'm planning to move my 4 week old chicks (22 of them) into a coop in an open shed today and am after some advice. The shed is sheltered from the weather but my main concern is that out temperatures are ranging from 30-60f (southern hemisphere winter with frosty mornings) and wonder if the 2 150W heat lamps i will add to the coop will be enough to keep the little ones warm. Most of them are almost fully feathered and they sleep in a group, never on top of each other but more spread out flat touching one another. Does anyone think these 2 heat lamps will be enough considering the temperature?
    They are currently coping fine in the lock up part of the shed so sheltered from all sides and the wind also, the wind doesn't blow directly into the open part of the new coop, but they may feel a slight breeze in there if it is really windy outside.
    Is it too early to move them or should I try them in the new coop and see how they go?
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    I keep a little heater in mine that can be set to the needed temp, and turn off when it reaches it. I believe for a 4 week old chick it is around 80 degrees. All of mine have done wonderful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by