Temps on my incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Chicken Boyy, Nov 2, 2008.

1. The Chicken Boyy

The Chicken Boyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a Little Giant "Still-Air" am planning on putting 6 purebreed RIR eggs. I put in 3 thermometers 2 regular and 1 digital with hygrometer(humditity). The regualars read 105 while the digital reads 100.3.

WHICH ONE SHOULD I TRUST?

2. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    Im not very good at this but if you take an average of all three you get 103.4 so I would say turn it down alittle.

3. The Chicken Boyy

Oct 17, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    ok thank you.....

4. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    sounds like you are like me, I used 1 therm. my first hatch, 9 of ten eggs hatched. This time I bought another therm. and they are reading 5 degrees apart. Is funny I tested them sitting on the table and they say the same temp. then so I am thinking maybe we are having hot spots in our bators, maybe.

5. The Chicken Boyy

Oct 17, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    welll i put mine rite beside each other

6. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Me too is a weird thing not sure why this happening. I am adding a computer fan to mine tomorrow. Is yours a still air.

7. The Chicken Boyy

Oct 17, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    yea little giant still air

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:What do you mean by 'regular'? If it's the ones that came with the LG, I would throw them away!! Mine was at least 3 degrees lower than the digitals, and if I had went by them, I would have had cooked eggs for sure!!

If they are the regular oral thermometers, you cna calibrate them. Make a slush solution out of ice and water. Make sure you stir it around real good. Put the thermometer in it, and wait till it stops moving. You should probably keep stirring the slush. It should get down to 32 degrees, if not then you know how 'off' it really is.

<edit> Plus an oral thermometer is designed to take the surface temp, so you should probably use a water wiggler with it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:With a still air, it is quite possible for you to have hot and cold spots. A good way to counter this is by rotating which side of the bator they are on, instead of just turning them.

10. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    I have the same scenario with LG still air..hot and cold spots. I have a therm in each corner and they all read differently, however, they are all within 99-102

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by