Temps on my incubator!

The Chicken Boyy

Songster
11 Years
Oct 17, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I have a Little Giant "Still-Air" am planning on putting 6 purebreed RIR eggs. I put in 3 thermometers 2 regular and 1 digital with hygrometer(humditity). The regualars read 105 while the digital reads 100.3.

WHICH ONE SHOULD I TRUST?

sounds like you are like me, I used 1 therm. my first hatch, 9 of ten eggs hatched. This time I bought another therm. and they are reading 5 degrees apart. Is funny I tested them sitting on the table and they say the same temp. then so I am thinking maybe we are having hot spots in our bators, maybe.

Quote:
What do you mean by 'regular'? If it's the ones that came with the LG, I would throw them away!! Mine was at least 3 degrees lower than the digitals, and if I had went by them, I would have had cooked eggs for sure!!

If they are the regular oral thermometers, you cna calibrate them. Make a slush solution out of ice and water. Make sure you stir it around real good. Put the thermometer in it, and wait till it stops moving. You should probably keep stirring the slush. It should get down to 32 degrees, if not then you know how 'off' it really is.

<edit> Plus an oral thermometer is designed to take the surface temp, so you should probably use a water wiggler with it.

Last edited:
Quote:
With a still air, it is quite possible for you to have hot and cold spots. A good way to counter this is by rotating which side of the bator they are on, instead of just turning them.

I have the same scenario with LG still air..hot and cold spots. I have a therm in each corner and they all read differently, however, they are all within 99-102

Back
Top Bottom