Temps outside for a broody...Delaying eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Ok so me and my aunt were talking. I told her about my older girl who is broody alot Hatched eggs in June and they all hatched right on day 21. I told her again in setember hatched another clutch in 21 days right on time. Again in november she set on a clutch that didnt hatch till day 26! So we got on the topic of the weather outside effecting the hatching under a broody.

See with a incubator we can controll the temps. So if a broody is outside in colder temps could this effect the Incubation period? Could it be the possible delay in the hatchng of eggs under a broody?

I'm sure it does for my last broody to hatch eggs on day 26. Temps outside were very cold and freezing.

Share your thoughts please and if you have had a broody outside in colder temps and how it effected your hatches.

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    well it gets to about 40 here at night, and my broody already has 2 babies hatched. That was 3 days ago.... and she has 3 more of her own to hatch plus 3 duck eggs. SOOOO who knows how long this will take.

She IS eating and drinking, then going back to her nest with her 2 babies... I'm thinking the weather IS prolonging it. But today its 75 almost 80 so im hoping the next few hot days will speed this up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by