Temps question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amyquilt, Dec 11, 2008.

1. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    I am using my homemade MissPrissy bator....

The air temps go up to 100.5 and then the light turns off, and comes back on at 95.7 ish.

The water wiggler temps go to 100.3 then when the light is off, down to 99.1.

Are the water wiggler temps ok? I'm hoping since the shell is a bit denser than the water wiggler that the egg temp doesn't quite go as far down to the 99.1.

Humidity is fine, in the mid 40's range.

I'm only opening the bator 3 times a day, to turn the eggs and I' using the egg carton method, so it's quick turning.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  2. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Amy, that sounds perfect. Good job and I'd love to see a pic of your homemade bator!

3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
  4. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Amy, Your bator is wonderful and internal temps sound excellent. 99.5 is actually the internal temp you're looking for...I don't think you could get much closer to perfect if you're fluctuating between 100-99! Great job [​IMG]

5. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Whew....I'm glad....I was just worried. This is my first hatch and really want some chicks out of these eggies.

6. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Ok so my post this am was way wrong.

The water wiggler was only registering 97-98.

I ended up turning up the thermostat, now it turns on at 97-98ish and off at 104-105ish (according to my 3 of the Walmart thermometer/hygrometer digials in the bator). All 3 read pretty much the same. BUT the second it hits the off temp and the light goes off, the temp immediately does a nose-dive. I'm just hoping that the "average" temp is what the eggs are running. [​IMG]

The water wiggler is saying nearly 98 right now....ugh. The eggs don't feel warm....should they?

SO....I'm hoping the eggs will be ok. Today is day 5 (day 6 starts in more hours) and I see no veining at all. [​IMG]

7. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    What kind of thermostat do you have in your incubator???

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you use a little spacer or something to give air space between the 'bator wall and the thermostat? I think I read that trick maybe on GopherBoy's incubator build, and used it for my cooler bator. I think it makes the thermostat cycle a 'lil quicker.

9. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    It's a hot water heater thermostat.

Yes, I have about 1/2 inch between the wall of the bator and the back of the thermostat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by