temps rising, do I adjust?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by keystonepaul, Jun 24, 2008.

1. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    temps have been holding steady all hatch- 99.8- 100.4 with the middle of that about average- as the bator adjusted itself pretty much as temps head towards both those highs and lows- so I've been pretty pleased with temps. Now the temperature rise that folks spoke of is happening. I've adjusted the bator thermostat minutely twice to keep it in it's "normal" operating range when it got up to 100.9, do I continue to do this as the temp rises or let it rise? Whats a normal temp rise when caused by the eggs themselves?? Thanks, Keystonepaul

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    If you adjust it everytime it changes much you'll get big swings. If it's staying between 99 and 101, I personally wouldn't touch it! I sure wish mine would have stayed in that range!! It would swing from 95 - 104 and I did a LOT of adjusting. I still got an 85% hatch. JMO..

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Tweak it a bit of you want, but for the most part leave it alone.
    You are seeing the chicks begin to create their own body heat as their hearts get to pumping.

4. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    thanks folks. The turner comes out tonight! I sure hope I get a few to hatch. It's like the week leading up to Christmas. Thanks again, Keystonepaul

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by