1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

temps swinging

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sugarjax06, Sep 20, 2010.

1. sugarjax06

sugarjax06 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Lancaster, CA
    I'm trying to get my homemade bator stable so I can set some eggs. The temp. is swinging from 105 to 97, the humidity from 55 to 35 (with the temps). I have two pill bottles for ventilation. When I open the one, it goes to 97. If it is closed, 104 or 105.

What I'm wondering is if I could plug it with a cotton ball? Would that allow enough air exchange yet keep heat in?
    Thanks!

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

do you have a thermostat?

3. sugarjax06

Jul 12, 2010
    Lancaster, CA
    yes for a hot water heater. I just went and checked it with the cap open and it was 103 so my cotton ball idea isn't gonna work. Maybe it is the room it's in.

4. rebelcowboysnb

How far is the thermostat from the light? I'm assuming you are using a light for heat.
    If you can put your closed fist between them then its to far apart for an incubator smaller than about 20 gallons.

5. sugarjax06

Jul 12, 2010
    Lancaster, CA
    [​IMG]

Here is the set up. It is pretty small and I think I have the thermostat pretty close. I went ahead and moved it into our closet instead of the bathroom it was in (I know that room temp. fluctuates a lot). If I can get to stable out then I can adjust it one way or the other. I also have a really small fan in there which could be an issue....well maybe not though cause some people do without fans so I should be able to get consistent temps regardless.

Thanks for your time! I really appreciate it!

Shalane

6. rebelcowboysnb

The part of the thermostat that reads heat is the flat side. Take the thermostat off the wall an lay it flat side down on the rack around the light an see if that fixes the temp.

7. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    id put the light farther from the thermo at least... and it sounds like your vents are too big if it makes the temp fluctuate so much. maybe try opening one up half way? piece of tape or something

8. rebelcowboysnb

Moving it away makes the fluctuations bigger. Closer is better.

Water heater thermostats have a 8*F vereable. You want the thermostat to kick on at 99*F then kick the light back off rather quickly... Having it close to the light makes it get a lot of radent heating so it cycles off fast. The thermostat will kick back on pretty fast because the air is still very close to the 99*F kick on temp.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  9. sugarjax06

Jul 12, 2010
    Lancaster, CA
    Ok I moved the thermostat onto the metal and for some reason when I came back the light bulb was flickering like crazy. So I left it on the wall but moved it down closer and I added the cotton ball. It seems to have worked. I bought another thermometer just in case mine was lying the whole time and I am testing it now. It's amazing that a couple of inches could matter so much!

Oh and I realize in the picture the thermostat is pressed all the way up against the wall but that was because I was adjusting it - it is actually hanging out from the wall

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by