Temps with fan...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harleyjo, Jun 15, 2011.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I have a Hovabator still air. I am just in my early days of my 2nd hatch. I got 4 out of my first hatch. Not great but it was a learning experience. So now I have just started my second one. I added a 4 inch personal fan today. I don't know for sure on the temps. I had my digital out of the bator for awhile so I was just going off the one that came with the incubator. It went way high so I opened the bator to cool it down and then it leveled out. So now I have added my digital back in it and there is a big difference between the digital and the one that came with the bator. What one do I believe?

2. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    I never liked the thermometer that came with my hovabator. I actually have 3 in the incubator and replace them every year just to be sure. Still air temp should be 100.5, 99.5 with a fan.

I don't like digital thermometers at all, I always seem to have issues with them. I use the simple cheap ones that you get in the pet department at Walmart or petco. How many eggs did you set in the first batch that you got 4?

I would be tempted to add another thermometer. However, remember that once you set the eggs and they are coming up to temperature, your incubator temperature will fluctuate. As a rule, run the incubator for 48 hours to make sure your temperature is correct and holding. Once it is, then set the eggs and forget about it for a good day.

3. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I set 18 the first time. I have some of those aquarium temps but being in my 50's, I can't read those little therometers in the incubator. I almost have to take them out to read them.

4. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    In my opinion it is possible that the digital thermometer is not working properly. Maybe go by the other one until you can get a backup digital to check. In the first couple days of setting, the eggs don't seem much worse for wear if the temps fluctuate a bit. I have heard of some people having temps of 103 and as low as 90 but still having a good hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by