tempted to take away the heat lamp

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jeraldt6, Jun 19, 2011.

1. jeraldt6

jeraldt6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    My mallard and Pekins are 12 days old and in the brooder. Days here are in the 70s and nights in the 50s. I am tempted to move them outside within the next few days. They would have their little house off the ground with straw in it and access to the grass and shallow pond. Are they smart enough to go into their house and snuggle to keep warm?

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I wouldn't take away a heat lamp from a 12 day old at those temps. Recently, I had to rescue a couple of month-old ducklings that were without a mom because one was acting like he was suffering from hypothermia. The temp ranges were the same as yours except they were completely outdoors all the time. If you can put a heat lamp in their duck house at night, at least in one part of it, that might be better.

3. jeraldt6

jeraldt6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Yea, I guess I kind of figured that. I need to make room for new chickens tomorrow. I guess I will just build another bigger and better brooder for my ducks. My garage has become a barn. I can't believe how much fun all these birds are.

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I have 2 week old ducks outside with mom. She abandons them and goes up on the roost. Our night temps are in the upper 40s and day temps on the 50s and 60s. They are fine.

5. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 5 day olds and 3 week olds in a brooder with a 100 watt regular bulb and a 2 month old bantam chick. The bantam (Old English) literally mothers all the babies! I wish I had more than one but I don't. She curls in the corner with all the babies (lost count, probably 16) and let's them fight over who's going to curl under her wings. They're all fine and we have the same temps!

6. michelle89

michelle89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Quote:My garage was a barn too! Now my 7 chickens and 2 ducks are in their coop! I'm having fun too, everyday I smile and laugh at my "kids" Enjoy!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by