Tempurature in Still Air Incubator (2 Different Readings- Help Please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jt673, Sep 23, 2010.

1. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    I set up the Little Giant Still Air Incubator with an Auto Turner. I have 2 thermometers in there. One is reading 99.5 laying on the auto-turner tray.

The one on top of the eggs however, is reading 101.5!! This is my first trial and I do not want to hurt anyone!!! More eggs coming this week...

My questions are:

1. Where should I keep both thermometers?
    2. The Auto-turner only sways them back and forth very slowly, but the eggs never fully rotate. Should I turn them also soo that the pointy part of the eggs are rotating to the top of the incubator at least twice a day?

_OR_

3. Should I take the autoturner out all together and rotate by hand since the autoturner raises the eggs closer to the heating element? [​IMG]

Thank you for your help!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:You want the temp on the top of the eggs to be around 101 in a still air. No you don't need to turn them the auto turner is doing that for you.

I see you are getting more eggs this week. Are you planning to put those eggs in with the one's you have in the bator now? If you do, do you have another bator for the first eggs to go into after their 18 days are done? You should put all your eggs in at the same time so you don't have a staggered hatch. [​IMG]

Good luck, I hope all your eggs hatch. Keep us updated. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Quote:You want the temp on the top of the eggs to be around 101 in a still air. No you don't need to turn them the auto turner is doing that for you.

I see you are getting more eggs this week. Are you planning to put those eggs in with the one's you have in the bator now? If you do, do you have another bator for the first eggs to go into after their 18 days are done? You should put all your eggs in at the same time so you don't have a staggered hatch. [​IMG]

Good luck, I hope all your eggs hatch. Keep us updated. [​IMG] [​IMG]

THANK YOU, I was not sure about the turning of the eggs since the pointy ends that are in the holders never come out of the holder towards the top.

I am planning to put one set in with these and another set in a Brinsea 20 with autoturner that I have on order.

I will have another still-air for the hatcher/brooder. If this is not okay for a brooder for the first week or if there are other suggestions to improve this plan, PLEASE let me know. I truly would like everyone to hatch healthy [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks!

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

The other still air incubator will work fine as a hatcher but ya need a plastic tote or some other box that they cant eat to brood them in.

Here is a page on thermal layering in a still air incubator http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html The second picture shows why you were getting different temps at different heights.

5. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Quote:Thank you, my Brinsea Octagon 20 ECO Auto Turn Egg Incubator came and has been at 99.5F for 1.5 hours now! This will take a lot of the guessing out. I will put the other set in this one.

Thanks again for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by