1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ten day old Barnevelder with impacted crop.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maizy'smom, May 12, 2016.

1. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Our ten day old Double Laced Barnevelder has a very distended crop...you can see the veins in her very tightly stretched skin. I have not witnessed her pooping today. I have been giving her 10ml droppers of water 3 to 5 times a day, and I have been removing the feeder at night, to prevent her from eating all night long. When do I panic and take her to the vet? I am not a newbie at this, but these are my first peeps in five years, and this is a new problem on me.....bumblefoot surgery and crossed beaks I am good at, but this has me concerned. Thanks for any and all bits of advice.

mm

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Sorry, don't know what to tell you except I thought this was a good article, which you can search: Impacted Crop Diaries. It's a pretty interesting article, and hope it helps.

3. MaratManor

MaratManor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia

I gave mine olive oil in a dropper as well as apple Cider vinegar to try and loosen it up! Also massaged crop downward!

4. maizy'smom

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    I've tried the dropper of water, with apple cider vinegar in it, and I've tried massaging the crop. I gave them all access to a piece of bread with olive oil on it, but all that did was give them a skating rink to slip around on. If you are dosing with olive oil, what amount are we talking about? I can only get about 10 mls of water in her at one sitting. And, I'm a little afraid of her aspirating the oil into her lungs. But if that helps her empty this clog, I'll give it a go.

Thanks,

mm

5. MaratManor

MaratManor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia

I just dropped what she would take! Only a few! Hope your chick gets better!

6. maizy'smom

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Thanks! Here's hoping she clears out soon! One thing's for sure, she'll be well used to being handled.

mm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by