1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ten Leghorn -- Eleven eggs??!??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ambrosia, Oct 31, 2011.

1. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Never posted a question before so please bear with me... I have 10 Leghorns, and they started laying approximately 4 weeks ago. Very dependable layers! I have 6 RIR as well, but they aren't laying as of just yet [​IMG] ... how did I get 11 eggs from ten chickens? I check the coop twice daily... and all eggs were pearly white, so not RIR. Is this common? I was under the impression that they only lay once every 24 hours AT BEST...

Not that I'm complaining... [​IMG]

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I believe it is uncommon for a hen to lay 2 eggs in 1 day, but I know it can happen because one of my young pullets layed 2 in one day a couple of weeks after she started laying, earlier this year. I've read other accounts of this on here as well. Consider yourself lucky [​IMG]

3. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Very very rarely, a bird can lay 2 eggs in 1 day. I've seen it happen 1 time ever. Its usually when they are young birds and their laying cycle isn't 100% set.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by