1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Ten week old rooster mounting pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Casey3043, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Casey3043

Casey3043 Songster

What is with this precocious sex fiend?? He tried to mount a pullet this morning--they are all the same age, hatched April 4. No eggs yet, of course and no developed combs on the pullets. But Peter, my black Australorp roo (an accidental roo that came in the pullet order) is suddenly very interested in mating. It's only been a couple of weeks since he started to crow! Here I am still referring to this bunch as "the baby chickens", to distinguish them from the adult hens, and he's doing this! No damage done, but he scared the mess out of the pullet and pulled out some feathers, which he promptly ate as she ran off, terrified at her narrow escape from this rape attempt.

Should I pen him separately? I hate to do this, as he is still learning OTHER roo behavior (protection, leading hens to tasty treats, etc.). If it won't do any damage, I'd like to leave him with the pullets. The other alternative would be to put him with the ten adult hens, who just might clean his clock for him.

Ah, teenagers! [​IMG]

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Just leave him with them, it's the natural way. [​IMG]
    It can be kinda ruff at first.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. My two ten week old cockerels turned our yard into a frat house with their mating attempts nonsense. None of my pullets suffered any harm. Give the pullets plenty of room to get away from the naughty boys and they'll all figure it out together.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    lol! Oh goodness! Well I guess it's about that time. I love the idea of throwing him in with the adult hens. When I was working with some ranchers in Penn Valley, they would put the unruly stud colts in with grown mares, usually in foal, and boy oh boy that colt would learn his manners!! Quickly too! Nothing like a bunch of old biddies teaching these young whipper snappers the ways! [​IMG]

5. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Songster

thats ok, i have a 10 week old Drake mounting my 10 week old hen ducks. lol. only problem, the drake is a giant pekin, and the hen is a little magpie. he mounts her in the water sometimes so im worried she'll drown cuz shes so small

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by