Ten Weeks ? Barred Rocks... Help With Gender Please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stormlily, Nov 26, 2010.

1. stormlily

stormlily Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Paraiso Costa Rica
    Hi All
    I am a Canadian living in the mountains of Costa Rica. Because my Spanish is basic I asked a local farmer to help me find some chicks. I thought he would take me to a farm but we ended up in a pet store where they had about 30 chicks in a box. The girl working there did not seem to know any thing about them and when I told her I only wanted hens she backed off and so I just grabbed 6 and hoped for the best. I had no idea what breed age or sex they were. After reading this site I figure that they are barred rocks and about 10 weeks old now. I will post some pictures and hope that some when can help me. I friend thinks they are all roos...just my luck but I don't think she knows much about chickens either. The first picture is of one that is quite a bit lighter than the others and the last one has lighter feet, other than that they look pretty much the same to my untrained eye.

Thanks in advance Luisa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Cool - Costa Rica~! [​IMG]

Looks like you have a roo in the 1st pic, the rest are hens. Should have lots of eggs soon!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If anything you only have two pullets, (shown in the group photo) the rest are cockerels.

5. tberryer

tberryer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    They look like mixed breeds to me. They all have BR in them, but they have inconsistencies too, especially with the barring and leg color. Looks like a lot of roos to me based on the age and combs. Do any of them have a faint pink, smaller womb and wattle? At that 10 weeks, the girls should not be very prominent. Many of yours have large comb/wattles that are bright red which would definitely be a cockerel.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The first one at the top with all the white on it is a cross, not a pure BR. Several others seem not purebred, either.

Also, at ten weeks old, they look like almost all boys.

7. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:Agree

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks like a lotta boys [​IMG]

Check them for any with smaller,lighter pink combs and thinner legs. Those would be your best bets for hens. Then watch those for hackle/saddle feathers growing in in a month or two. Look on this site to see how they look, long, drapey feathers on the neck and base of the tail.

9. stormlily

Nov 19, 2010
    Paraiso Costa Rica
    Thanks so much all. I am disappointed but it seems the overwhelming decision is that I might have one girl at best. I am not surprised they are mutts and wouldn't want it any other way. I have only ever had a pure bred and that was a Thoroughbred horse. I am a big fan of mutts. I am still hoping beyond hope for one girl and will keep the light coloured roo cause he has become such a pet...the rest I don't know it is hard to have my first experience with chickens end in having to kill most of them. I would have liked to ease into that. Oh well life
    Thanks again for your expertise.

Luisa

10. stormlily

Nov 19, 2010
    Paraiso Costa Rica
    cross bed barred rock more opinions please

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by