Tenax Poutry Fence

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mommto3kiddos, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Has anyone used the Tenax Poultry Fence?? We got it over the weekend at Lowes (50 ft for $24).. Its super hard to break or cut, but Im nervous since it is plastic..

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. little brown hen

little brown hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Camp Point, Ill
    I have used it to keep them out of my garden.

3. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Are you planning to use it for your run? If so, I would say the large openings are asking for a coon or other nasty varmit to reach through the holes a grab a chicken. I have not seen this first hand but have heard on here that once they grab one, they jerk it through the holes a piece at a time. Yuck.

The rule of thumb I have learned on these boards is chicken wire is only used to keep chickens out of something/somewhere and not to keep predators out. I know its expensive but 1/4 or 1/2 in hardware cloth is the way to go.

4. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    be good for the roof on the run

5. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    we used that for the garden to keep them out of the raspberries

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Raccoons and dogs will bite through it if they wish to.

If it is important to you to have a fence material that carnivores can't slice thru with their teeth, then I would avoid it.

If you are just trying to keep different chickens separate or protect raspberries, it is fine [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    I use that type of fencing to make separate areas in my coop--such as now when I have chicks growing out at different ages. It's easy to put up, take down, keeps chicks in their area. But I would not recommend using it for the outer fencing on your coop or run. I don't think it would hold up to a racoon or dog who wanted to break in. [​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use it, but only as a liner along my other fencing on the interior run walls so the roos can't stick their heads thru and fight. It won't stop a predator from getting thru if that's the only fencing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by