tender?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rigagirl, Jan 10, 2010.

1. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    I know i have read about this before and i am not sure if i am in right area.
    I have RIR i have butchered before and tried baking one and it had good taste but was tough. Someone on here said it was because i cooked it with dry heat. I thought they made some sense so i cooked next one in a crock pot and that was still just as tough as first one. I even let chicken rest in fridge up to 48 hrs as suggested on here. A lady at work says she boils for hrs before they are Tender. My husband was talking to a lady today who is an old farmer and said she never heard of chickens being tough like that and suggested it was maybe my cooking. I have one hen and rooster in my freezer waiting to be cooked but i am scared. Any suggestions or tips.

2. Flagman

Flagman New Egg

May 8, 2009
    Try using a cooking bag when you bake it. I usually use that to keep it from drying out and getting tough.

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    How old was the bird? older=tougher.

4. rigagirl

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    the first 2 might have been 6 months old. in my freezer is a rooster at least 1yr old. i know he wasn't 1.5 yrs. other is a rooster maybe 5 months old.

5. rigagirl

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    i do want to try coq au vin but am worried that it wont come out good.. how about in a slow cooker with tomatoes and vegetable stock?

6. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    The barred rocks that I had growing up were always tough and stringy. We were told it was because they were free-range and too much excercise made them tough. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

7. rigagirl

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    just got to thinking... how is a cooking bag any different from a slow cooker?

8. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    For Layers: Boil them for sure...I boil mine for an hour or more and then pull all the meat off the bones. Then I put all the meat with a few leg bones back into the pot along with a dash of chicken broth, and two cubes of buillon, some salt, and some pepper. Then I add celery, carrots, and onions, then egg noodles and have chicken noodle soup! Especially when it's cold like this.

9. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    Did you let the birds (rest) cooling off in icewater and salt for 24/48 hours before freezing?

10. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

You'll never have a 1 year old bird keep the texture of a store bird/home grown broiler.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by