1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tendon Cutting Adult Geese?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by Rosecomb-Ryan, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    I was wondering if this is possible and how you do it? I have ALOT of full wings Egyptians (Currently have clipped wings) Also Nenes and Canadas.. So wondering how you do this? Someone suggested me to do it but didnt know how..

Ryan

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I've never cut tendons, i've only known people to have vets do it that way. I do however pinion my own birds.

3. Dr. Todd

Dr. Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Just curious, what's wrong with clipping them once a year? Tendon clipping should be a last resort.
    DT

4. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I am also interested in this topic, I have heard some guys swear by it, and have worked with a lot of trumpeters that were. I have a one and a half year old black swan that I need this done to, but haven't gotten enough info on how do it.

5. Rosecomb-Ryan

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Dr. Todd :

Just curious, what's wrong with clipping them once a year? Tendon clipping should be a last resort.
    DT

Um when Egyptians live in a 4 acre horse pasture they arent the easiest things to catch and I dont like stressing them out all the time..
    Also I have Egyptians with just their flight feathers all cut that can still fly..

I have some barnacles that have it done and it is awesome. They look perfectly normal but cant fly.​

6. Rosecomb-Ryan

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:Me either..

7. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    When you clip flight feathers, just do one side. They go in a circle, and quit trying.

8. Rosecomb-Ryan

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    I do.. Im not sure if tendon cutting would even work on them. Because I have seen pinioned Egyptians fly.. They have very powerful wings..

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My pinioned Egyptians don't fly, or at least get off the ground. My Cranes however can do short low distances, I guess because they are not heavy birds. I'd like to know also about this, I've had tendons cut in my horses leg before. The vet made a small cut, reached in with a finger pulled out the tendon, cut a chunk off then put a stitch in the cut. I would imagine it would be similar....

10. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Same with me my swans are on a one acre pond and catching them after they molt is more work then it's worth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by