Tennis Elbow? Is there hope

Hopper

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
Ionia
Just went to the doc finally after about 6 weeks of dealing with it.

All started with making our coop as a matter of fact. My hubby had me using an impact cordless instead of a drill. He said makes the screws more sturdy. Okay so I ran the impact for two weekends and then immediate elbow pain. compounded by golfing, lifting saddles, throwing hay bales, etc. Chiropractor told me to get the strap, ice it, and anti-inflamatory.... he adjusted it and this past week said there was so much inflamation that I NOW NEED TO SEE MY M.D.

Question is now that my doc injected it, is there hope of getting it back if I take it real easy for awhile? Any one been thru this? with success? or am I bound for surgery?
tongue.gif

Last edited:
I get it on and off (I believe). With some Motrin for a couple of weeks I usually get it back under control for a while- until I work on a new project again.

Sorry to hear about your TE. Rest is the No.1 thing. Then icing to get the inflammation down. A little hydrotherapy will help you (I'm a licensed massage therapist so you're getting professional advice.
wink.png
):

You want to flush the excess fluid out of your elbow area: So ice it for 30 sec to 1 min and put HEAT for 1-2 mins. Then ice for 30 sec - 1 min, heat for 1-2 in. Do this about for as many round as your can stand but get at least 10 minutes in. I'd do this at least once a day. Twice would be better but life is busy.

If you're into supplements, I'd recommend http://www.wobenzyme.info/. I've used it myself and find it quite effective, as long as I take it every day.

I've had tennis elbow so I too know what you're going through. Stretching the muscles of your forearms will help because they are spasming to make up for the weakness in the muscles around/ that support your elbow.

Good luck. Its takes some time (weeks) to heal this injury and no time at all to re-injure it, so be good to yourself. And for crying out loud (cause us horse women ever ask for help) let people help you do things so you can rest your arm.
wink.png

Mine flared up a couple of years ago after a routine trim of a tree using pruners. It took a long time for it to get better and any activity like that makes if flare. Hoping yours has a good remedy.
hugs.gif

thank you everyone... and Reiki Star, I will do exactly what you say. I know, I so dont like to ask for help, thats just not ME! especially when it comes to physical things UGH. I farm sit for the farm where I board my gelding when they go to a reining show or away to help work off my board bill. So i have many stalls to clean this weekend, and many more bales to throw...UGH AGAIN. I promise to ask for help.

I will also try and stretch it carefully too. Cause I dont want the alternative - surgery. Checking out the supplements next!

Thanks all and hope I can be a good little hopper and rest it!

Already using my left hand for the mouse on the PC....

I had it in my right elbow for nearly a year, off and on. Since Im right handed, it was hard not using it. Its about 95% up to speed but now I have a touch in my left elbow. I find taking an anti inflammatory like Aleve helps me more than anything. But I really had to keep up with taking them cause if I missed a dose, I could tell. I also wear one of those little elbow band thingys.

Quote:
Looks like your left arm is going to start using muscles it didn't know it had. ;o) I'm a righty and I developed in my left arm. But the way I hold a pitch fork would aggravate it. So I had to turn my hand over and learn to pick a little differently. I'm sorry you have a lot of physical things on your plate. Do the best you can and it's good excuse to make yourself a nice hot Epsom salt bath every one in a while. MT's orders! ;o) Also, eating really high quality dark chocolate helps with inflammation too. For real!

Maybe before you do any barn chores, warm up the muscles in your forearm and triceps with a little horse liniment. (The tricep attaches to elbow and plays a part in any strain there.)

For everyone who's had this or any other soft tissue injury: The flush (ice & heat) is good for any old chronic injury. New injury, ice it! Or RICE: Rest, Ice, Compress & Elevate. Old, use both ice and heat to move the gunk out. The body floods the area with fluid to create a "brace" it doesn't want you to use anything that's injured but of course, we don't listen. Oddly, the swelling to immobilize the area slows down healing. That's why we freak out when we see heat or swelling in a horse's leg. Same thing with humans...it's the body's poor attempt of helping itself, but it just gets in the way.

Wishing you luck! And unless the muscles or tendons have torn away from the bone...you do NOT need surgery. Just rest and time.
smile.png

R-Star thank you so much! It is not torn so I am going to try REALLY hard to be be good and not use it! Today it hasn't throbbed as much! I am really working hard at thinking before I do or grab. I did a little more research and like every one else says rest, rest, rest! So thanks to all for your tHoughts and advice! I knew I would get good help here! Thx!!!!

My hubby won't go to the doctor. He has tennis elbow and golfer's elbow. He has had a flareup for about 18 months now. I recently purchased a tens/ems unit. I used it on him 3 or 4 times. His is not 100%, but is much, much better. We are going to continue zapping him until he is 100%.

Back
Top Bottom