Tension in the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RogerTheChicken, Feb 20, 2015.

1. RogerTheChicken

RogerTheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    Lately I have been coming home to some hens scared on the roost, so today I threw them out. Roger my buff orpington and Curtis my black jersey giant must be arguing over the hens because they both tried to mate with the hens, every time Curtis got on a hen, Roger shoved him off and he started mating with her then they would both flog and beat up the hens. What should I do, the hens are scared to come out even if I take one of the roosters out.

2. RogerTheChicken

May 17, 2014
    There Are five hens that are being abused, a le flèche, a blue cochin bantam, white cochin bantam,buff orpington, and a domineque

3. RogerTheChicken

May 17, 2014
    Curtis is finally a mature rooster, could that be a factor?

4. RogerTheChicken

May 17, 2014
    Anyone?

5. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    Are you saying you have 5 hens total or just 5 favorites in the flock? Either way, I would separate them both from the hens. 10 hens to 1 rooster is the rule of thumb. Those hens are getting tortured.

6. RogerTheChicken

May 17, 2014
    75 Total and I don't have favorites

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Meaning he jut started mating? Yes, that definitely could be part of the problem.
    The males are establishing their pecking order.

How much room do you have for all these birds?
    Lots of space might help, but the boys will still have to work things out.....or not.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    How old are they? It sounds like you don’t have mature hens and roosters but instead have immature pullets and cockerels. Adolescents don’t always act like adults. The age of the males and females is really important in how to answer your questions.

What you are describing sounds like typical adolescent behavior, probably somewhere around 4 to 6 months of age. The boys’ hormones are running wild. Those hormones have the boys wired to the gills and they don’t have the maturity to deal with it. Some pullets may have just started laying, maybe, but their hormones haven’t really kicked in yet. They don’t know what is going on yet so they won’t do their part. Still, they may be sending signals to the boys that they are mature enough to attract attention so the boys look in their direction and ignore the less mature ones.

There are other things going on too, both with the mating and one cockerel knocking the other off. Mating is not just about sex, it is also a dominance thing. The one on the bottom is accepting the dominance of the one on top, either willingly or by force. The cockerel knocking the other off is demonstrating his dominance to that cockerel and the pullet. The pullets are not willing to accept that dominance so they try to go where the boys won’t bother them, up on the roost.

I’m guessing of course since I don’t know the ages. If it is adolescent issues they will eventually work it out, but it can be messy and unsettled down there until they all mature, pullets as well as cockerels.

9. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    The rooster's favorites, not yours. In this case, it might be better to separate the young hens while the roosters work things out. But try and separate them in a manner that they can still see the flock so reintegration would be easier.

10. RogerTheChicken

May 17, 2014
    Curtis is 8 months Roger is 11 months and my youngest hens are 5 months and none of them are being abused, the abused ones are all in between 11-8 months

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by