Tent Catipillers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bird Lady, May 27, 2012.

1. Bird Lady

Bird Lady In the Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern California
    Does anyone know if these nasty tent catipillers ( army worms ) are a hazard to chickens? Or how I can safely rid of them, They are in tree that overhangs their run. I know they can be poisonous to horses.
    Thanks

2. If possible, I try to cut off the section of branches where they are and burn it. Failing that, I use a propane torch on a stick to carefully burn it! I prefer to use as few chemicals as possible. I haven't tried a soap or horticultural oil spray, don't know if it may work.
    As far as poisonous, I don't know. I have used them as fish bait with limited success.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I didn't know they were poisonous. I see that the eastern tent catepillar can cause pregnant mares to abort.

I usually wait till dark, when they are back in the nest/tent. Then I cut the branch(s) put the entire thing in a garbage bag, tie it closed and dispose of in trash. I recall several years ago that we were told to not recycle then in yardwaste.

Imp

4. Bird Lady

Bird Lady In the Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern California
    I tried some "green" soap type stuff, found three nests of them. I hope it works. I was thinking torch or cut and burn. Those darn things are GROSS! On a brighter note, my buffs are spending their first night out in the coop, they loved being outside today. Needless to say this mama is nervous :) Love the Chief Seattle quote, Im heading to Pikes Market in August. Thanks for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: