Terminology

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kyle7630, Sep 8, 2008.

1. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    What exactly do these words and terms mean. Still new here and still learning. TIA

Banty

Broody

Broiler

croup

DE

Bramah

Bumble foot

Cocci

2. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm sure you'll get better more complete definitions from other members, but I'll tell you what I know [​IMG]

A broiler is a meat chicken. We've raised them for 4-H for two years now.

A Banty is a a smaller sized chicken.

I think Broody means the hen wants to lay on some eggs.

Bramah is a breed of chicken.

Bumblefoot is a chicken disease.

Cocci is a parasite.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:

4. kyle7630

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    So with the banty, is it a seperate breed than the regular sized oned or is is one that just didnt get big? ie, I saw a banty RIR on a post. Is he a different breed than a regular RIR?

With broody, do the hens usually not sit on their eggs? Just some decide to? Also, when it says they are sitting on a "clutch" of eggs, do they all hatch a day apart or together. Will a broody hen just keep on laying and sitting forever? How does that work? Thanks again.

5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I didn't know we had a glossary [​IMG]

Krista

7. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:Banty's are separate breeds. I think there are a couple of breeds that are strictly bantams but the rest are smaller versions of standard sized birds.

Quote:We're new to the raising non market birds so no experience with hens yet. But I think that the hens don't just nest all of the time. Sometimes they'll sit if there's no eggs too. I'm pretty sure the eggs don't all hatch in the same day, but not sure how long it takes for a clutch to hatch. Good question.

8. cabinfever

cabinfever New Egg

Jul 22, 2008
    I wondered and wondered what that meant ("she went broody"), until I saw it for myself. It must be hormones: our hen sat on an empty nest. She would not leave, ever. After a couple of days, we got some fertile eggs from a friend who has hens *and* a rooster. We gave those eggs to the broody hen -- actually put them under her. Incubation is generally 21 days, but you can *store* the fertile eggs for a few days, and you don't start the count until she is sitting on them and keeping them warm. While she was on the eggs, we lifted her off the nest once a day, in the afternoon, so that she could get a drink of water, eat a little, and poop. She would return to the nest in 20-30 minutes.

So my understanding is that they sit on a clutch of eggs from *other* hens in the flock. You know how they will all lay their eggs in the same nesting box? "Hmmm here's an egg or two... must be a safe place to leave *my* egg... perhaps somebody will come by and sit on these eggs... we'll all have babies... wheee!!!" So the broody hen is hatching her egg, and eggs from the rest of the flock too.

My broody hen hatched 5 chicks from a clutch of 10 eggs -- those kids are about 9 weeks old now, and integrated with the flock. They do get picked on though, and the older chickens won't let them on the roost. The broody hen has abandoned her motherly duties to a different hen now, and has rejoined the laying flock.

It's all so mysterious.

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    There are true bantams which are their own seperate breeds with no larger or "standard" size. Then there are the bantams which are just a miniaturized version of a standard breed and not so much a breed of their own. So you can have a banty of most any breed of chicken if someone has decided to just breed for smaller and smaller size.

Eggs do not start developing until they reach certain temperatures so you can store them for days or even weeks (hatching rate does go down after about 10days) before setting them and they'll all hatch at the same time even if they were each laid a different day. Not all eggs hatch perfectly at the same time but if they don't hatch within a day or so of each other there's a good chance the hen will abandon the nest to take care of the chicks that have hatched so most will hatch the same day. Provided they all started incubating the same day. The exception is if a hen starts to sit on eggs and then another hen lays an egg on her nest.

10. kyle7630

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    Good info, I like the detailed explanations. Really explains alot. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by