TERMITES!!!!!!

Barbwire

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 30, 2014
Virginia
Does anybody know how to get rid of termites in the veggie garden? I have termites in my potatoes. Everything I have read says they will not eat live vegetation and they are good for your garden because they aerate the soil. WRONG! I have potatoes planted in pots of top soil mixed equally with peat moss so plenty of organic mater in there. The potatoes were thriving. But now the termites are eating their way up the live stems. I don't know how to get rid of the termites and still be able to eat what is left of the potatoes.
Has anyone else had this problem?

I guess you're sure they're termites. I've never heard of your problem but I'm sure it can happen. Why don't you just dig all the potatoes as new potatoes to take their food source away. I think it takes some pretty nasty poisons to eliminate them.

Yep, unfortunately, I'm sure. I know I have never heard of it before either. Been organic gardening ever since I was a child helping my mom and never seen anything like it. Always heard they do not eat living plants, only the decaying wood bits in the soil. There are no wood bits in this soil though, just plenty of peat moss, and they are most certainly eating my healthy potato plants. Yeah I guess digging the new potatoes is a good solution, better than leaving them for the termites to chow down on. It is just so odd,
he.gif
not to mention aggravating!

I'd turn the chooks loose on them, but, since they're eating potato vegetation, the chooks probably wouldn't eat them. Are you positive they're termites? How bout posting a pic to your County agricultural extension office and asking for advice.

Hi all, I realize this is a 5 year old post, but have exact same problem and I am 110% positive they’re termites. I peeled the bark from some downed pines that had the termites so I hit them with need oil, next day all of my red potatoes were dead.... that was two weeks ago, last night hogs got in garden and helped me with the rooting chores so I pulled a few of the dead plants just to see how far along they were and had several nice red potatoes with little holes in them. Watched as the termites climbed out of the holes.... anyone have any ideas?

Termites are the most annoying pests. It is better to completely remove them. Here are three ways of termite elimination:
1) Liquid pesticides that are specifically formulated for termites and applied to the soil.
2) Building materials that are already infused with a pesticide.
3) One can hire Termite Control Lincoln CA for elimination of termites.
These methods may help in termite removal.

Back
Top Bottom