Terramycin Antibiotic Dosage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chris_p, May 22, 2008.

1. chris_p

chris_p Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    It looks like my sick pullet has some sort of respiratory ailment. She's breathing heavily, is chirping and has her feathers ruffled.

I picked up a pack of terramycin this morning at the local feed store. However, it looks like the dosage is 100 mg per quart of water. The entire package is 181 grams.

Any tips on measuring terramycin.

I asked my dairy farmer friend what he does, and he laughed. He's never dealt in that small dosage before.

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    per WES:
    4 tsp per gallon for 4 days then cut to 2 tsp per gallon for 6 days.

3. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    If you give the Terramycin to hens that are laying, how long should you wait after taking them off before eating the eggs?

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    That sounds like an awful lot!!! 4 tsp! You might want to call the company that makes the Terramyicin and find out.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    one of the problems with water application of medications is that a sick bird is usually not drinking very much... often after a couple days they will perk up a bit and drink more.... (they will also not drink a gallon of water... as far as I can tell the advice given by WES is a good general one to follow)

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Doesn't sound too high since the pack only has 100mg of antibiotic in a 180g packet of filler. So the % drug by weight is like .05%, that is being diluted even further with water.

7. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Terramycin will not do anything for a respiratory problem. You should get gallimycin or tylan 50 or something specifically for respiratory.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by