terramycin water shelf life

BeardedChick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
The Witness Protection Program
How long does a sealed bottle of terramycin water stay good? The packet of dry stuff says to make a fresh batch daily, but I'm wondering if I need to do that if I keep some sealed in a bottle. I am making only a quart at a time, but that's still a LOT for one chicken!

Terramycin is pretty inexpensive. I make a quart and keep it overnight so I get two days then make new. Why take a chance. It probably looses strength once it has been mixed.

Once you reconstitute from a dry state, go by the package for how long it is good for. Many things are only for 24hrs, but some longer. It is not about keeping it clean or away from air usually, but the mixing with water makes it unstable. The stuff is unlikely to become toxic, but partially inactivated antibiotics are a waste as well as possibly going to encourage resistant bacteria.

Asked my vet the same question, she told me to make it new each day but I could break it down so I didnt have to make so much !! That helped... So instead of 1 tablespoon to a gallon I used 1/2 tablespoon per half gallon !!

It does have something to do with the anti breaking down in water !!

Back
Top Bottom