Terramycin WITH Tylan 50?

hippiechickadee

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 22, 2014
Upstate NY
I've been treating sneezy/congested/hoarse sounding chickens for the past week with Terramycin in their water. I think they get better, then I think they slide back and it's been a guessing game all week as to whether or not it's working.

The package said to give for 7-14 days (7 days will be tomorrow)

I want to move on to Tylan 50 injections.

Should I wait a timeframe after Terramycin before that? Give it now? Stop the Terramycin or continue it?

I would stop the Terramycin and start the Tylan injections. If the Terramycin isn't curing them, all it is doing is stressing them out and possibly creating resistant bacteria.

Tylan is one of the best antibiotics for treating respiratory diseases, and it is my preferred antibiotic whenever I see a sick bird. I don't like stressing birds out by treating them for days with a weaker antibiotic. Tylan works rather fast (3-5 days), and is more effective.

Good luck with treating your birds!

Giving chickens shots is super easy. Lay them on their backs in your lap and they are completely calm and still.

I noticed a difference in them the very next day after the shot! Their voices were coming back, far less sneezing, more active- yippee!

I gave the older birds (16 weeks) 1/4 cc and the younger ones (6 weeks) and bantams 1/8 cc shot right into their breast using a "diabetic" syringe with needle (tiny 1 cc syringe)

I did it again today and plan on doing it at least one more day (tomorrow).

Should I do it a 4th?

Tylan 50 is wonderful! It works wonders!

Last edited:
Tylan 50 injection is normally given for 3 days, and not more than 5 days. If used orally, I would use it for 5 days. Keep in mind that if you are treating a virus such as infectious bronchitis, that it has to run it's course. Antibiotics may help prevent secondary bacterial infections.

Back
Top Bottom