1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Terramycin

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Crickett, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Twice I went to the CO-OP to get terramycin for my chicks now. Both times they were out, and tried to get me to buy something else. It was omnimycin? or something. The salesgirl said "It's the same thing, nearly". I think she was just trying to make a sale.[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Not the same thing. Do you have a petsmart or petco... sometimes they have it.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Are your chicks sick? Terramycin may not be the right medicine for them. You don't want to overdo it on antibiotics. Doing so renders them ineffective if and when you do need them.

4. Umbral_Necropolitan

Umbral_Necropolitan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Bakersfield, California
    Vets who work with reptiles might have it as well, I get terramycin for my turtles from their vet.

5. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    No they aren't sick or anything. I had just read that they need to have terramycin in thier water for the first few days to keep them healthy. [​IMG] As a matter of fact, I think they look pretty good.[​IMG] Maybe I don't need to give them the terramycin after all?[​IMG]

6. Umbral_Necropolitan

Umbral_Necropolitan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Bakersfield, California
    If they are not sick, you don't need any. It would just lower their sensitivity to the drug making it less effective when they are sick.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Please don't give your healthy chicks terramycin or any antibiotic for that matter. Healthy chicks only need good starter feed and fresh clean water to thrive.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

TSC recommends Duramycin in the chick water the first few days, but I didn't buy any. I may be new to chickens, but not to animals and I don't treat them for anything unless they are sick.

Technically anything ending in -mycin is chemically related, so I would be willing to substitute if I did a little research on it myself. I wouldn't take a retail worker's word for it though.
    Me - I'm somewhat allergic to antibiotics ending in -mycin and had a reaction to Chlarithromycin in college.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree wholeheartedly.

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

deleted

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by