Terramycin....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimatsettstone, Mar 16, 2013.

1. kimatsettstone

kimatsettstone New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Helpppppp my chickens are unwell and I have been advised to use terramycin to dissolve in their water. I have just read on a web site that you should never eat the eggs from any chickens which have been treated with this, does anyone know if this is true?

2. aafairchild

aafairchild Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Hi,

I am no expert, but I think this is a tetracycline type antibiotic. I would not eat the eggs during treatment and would wait a few days after treatment is complete. As far a never eating eggs from them again, only if I had to resort to Baytril which is not approved for chickens anyway. I have used Denegard on my birds many months ago and I eat their eggs every day.

Good luck with your ladies.

Alice

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The withdrawal period for terramycin is 5 days.
    http://web.uconn.edu/poultry/poultrypages/diseasefactsheet.html

4. kimatsettstone

kimatsettstone New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Thanks for the info, the kink/fact sheet is very useful:)

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Throwing a weak antibiotic at "unwell" chickens is not advisable. Unwell how? Terramycin is less than helpful, in truth, if chickens are really in need of any antibiotic treatment.
    I myself never use antibiotics unless I know for sure it's something NON contagious. If you do, you don't cure anything, you only create Typhoid Marys in your flock. Plus, as you know, if something is viral, antibiotics are useless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by