1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

terramycine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmantoo1, Apr 14, 2007.

1. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    im giving my chickens terramycine.can i eat the eggs or cook them for the chickens.i sure hate to waste the eggs how long after taking them off until they are good if they are not

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I don't use them, but I believe I've read that the withdrawal for antibiotics is the same number of days that the birds were on the drug.

So if your birds are on terramycin for 10 days, do not eat the eggs for 10 days after they are off the drug. The eggs can be hard cooked and fed back to the flock during the time they are on the drug and the withdrawal time.

I'm not positive about this, because as I said, I don't use any antibiotics. Wes would probably know if you need to have a longer withdrawal period.

Personally, I would give the birds plain yogurt with active cultures for the 10 days after they are off the antibiotics. Antibiotics kill the beneficial flora in the digestive system and the yogurt with active cultures will replace them.

By the way, why are you giving your birds terramycin?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by