Terrible Dog Attack! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by someplumbcoop, May 20, 2011.

1. someplumbcoop

someplumbcoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    North Carolina
    My neighbor's dog got into our chicken coop. He killed a lot of our flock. The ones that are left are pretty badly hurt. A couple have big gouges in their backs. One has a broken leg. And our rooster's tail has been mostly eaten off. I need help with them! They are all in shock. Can I save them? What do I do?

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I'm sorry this happened. [​IMG]

First, you need to get he injured birds in a quiet, darkened area. Injured birds must be seperated from the others. It will take time for them to overcome the shock. Offer electrolytes (I swear by red Gatoraid), don't worry about food yet. Get everyone cleaned up as best you can. Rinse wounds out with clean water and apply neosporin. Once this is done, you can offer them some scrambled eggs with yogurt mixed in or regular feed if they prefer it. It is ok if they don't eat for a day or so.

I don't know if I would even try to treat the one with a broken leg. [​IMG] You will have to decide if culling is best for the bird. Good luck. [​IMG]

3. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    X2. As far as the broken leg, if it is central (mid-leg) it should do pretty well with a padded popsicle stick splint. One stick on each side and wrapped with vet wrap or tape. Don't get it too tight to where you compromise circulation.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yet another dog attack - so sad and so mad. Good advice above (electrolytes for shock as noted - do this promptly).

Please also take some photos of the horror - it will be important later in taking action about the irresponsible dog owners, on behalf of your birds that were terrorized, maimed, killed.

If someone can get you some Rescue Remedy (Bach flower remedy) a couple drops in their water, freshened regularly, may help have a calming effect.

The survivors will probably be in a lot of pain and would benefit from pain relief (1 baby aspirin [81mg] crushed per cup of drinking water, changed out at least once daily). If anyone is bleeding a lot or you suspect internal bleeding don't do this or they could bleed worse. A vet can also prescribe pain reliever that doesn't have this concern, possibly Metacam.

JJ

5. someplumbcoop

someplumbcoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone. I've got most of them in a cool dark area in my laundry room. I found out I have 2 with broken legs and one of my duck's leg doesn't seem to be working right. I will try to get some pics up soon. This makes me so mad! We have spent soooo much time and money on these birds and now half of them are gone in less then 10 minutes. It really pisses me off. The dog owner has apologized and has offered to buy the new flock for us. It just makes me so mad![​IMG]

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    The worst is the pain and suffering the birds are subjected to. No amount of money or new birds can even begin to mitigate for that horror. Yet money and sanctions are all we have in our legal system. The dog owner should also pay all vet bills you incur if you take the birds for professional medical care (I would give them the best chance of recovery, pain relief etc and then send all bills to the dog owners). People must wake up to the fact that dogs are predators and choosing to have them means taking the responsibility of ensuring that they cause NO harm.

JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by