1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Terrible dog attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AUtiger79, Mar 7, 2009.

1. AUtiger79

AUtiger79 New Egg

Mar 7, 2009
    Hello everyone. Today is my first day on this site. But, it's also the worst day of my poultry-filled life. Me and my family have been the prowd owners of 28 laying hens and a few roosters. It's my first time raising chickens, and we've enjoyed every minute of it. We have a large farm - and our hens were producing eggs generously.

We went on a cruise this past week. During our respite, the man who was caring for our birds came over one afternoon and found a dog in the wyandotte yard. Unfortunately, the dog had killed ALL 14 chickens. Before he could capture the dog, it ran off into the woods.

The next day, he came back and found the same dog in the ISA brown yard. The dog had killed all 14. He shot the dog this time.

We returned home from vacation today, and discovered our chickens missing. It wasn't until I called him that we heard the unfortunate news. I have to say that I have been deeply torn by this ordeal, and absolutely have no way of explaining just how much we are hurting.

I guess I had to vent, but I'd like to know if anyone has ever heard of ONE dog killing that many chickens. I believe his story - but just cannot believe that one dog did all this damage. I'd love to hear from you.....

Chris

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Oh yes, I believe a dog could do this. And they do come back for more. I had the neighbor dog do this to my chickens and if we didn't catch him after killing only four he would have killed the whole flock. It's a natural instinct for them to just chase what ever is moving (especially a bird) and just pounce on them until they stop moving. I'm SO sorry for your lose! I'm glad that he got the dog though. Did you get a chance to see the dog that did it? Maybe you could have the owners pay for your lose.

Welcome to the site BTW sorry it had to be under such horrible circumstances!

3. AUtiger79

AUtiger79 New Egg

Mar 7, 2009
    Yes, it was a "bird" dog - a Liver Pointer. She evidently had pups of her own. The man caring for our birds said she was definately nursing. I hate that someone lost a beautiful dog - but am very hurt that we lost our entire chicken flock. I now have to start over. The dog dug deep under the fencing - and got into both chicken pens. It was terrible.

But, thank you for your response!

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    yes they can.. easily.

So can a lot of other predators... from cat, hawk, ferret, etc...

5. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG] I live in California!

I am sorry that your first post here has to be about such tragedy!! [​IMG] But there are many people here who know just what you are going through!! [​IMG]

A couple of questions: Where do you live? What kind of enclosure do you have for your runs?? Chain link? chicken wire? wire cloth?? Almost any predator (dogs, racoons, foxes, etc.) can get through chicken (poultry) wire. Did you see where the dog got into the run??

Dogs often kill just for the fun (flapping wings, running around,etc).

I am so sorry for your loss!! If you have any other questions, please send us another post!! [​IMG]

Cindy

6. ocean_rain21

ocean_rain21 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I am so sorry about your loss!!
    We have 3 dogs one of wich is a bird dog and he has killed 4 of our chickens since last spring. we have learned to be more carefull when letting the girls free range.
    Sorry you had to come home to such terrible news.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sad on so many levels.
    If not a homeless dog, that someone was so utterly irresponsible for their pet predator. [​IMG]
    That so many defenseless birds suffered and died.[​IMG]
    That the remaining chickens weren't put in lockdown after the first 14 were murdered, since pedators return. [​IMG]
    I hope you can ID the dog's people, if indeed the dog was under someone's failed guardianship.Take photos of the massacre and bill them to the maximum extent allowable. Go to court if they don't cooperate. This will not bring the poor birds back, but it will aid in the continuing quest for educating that these feathered beings have value (well in excess of the bills of course but it's symbolic).
    So sorry this happened.
    JJ

8. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    [​IMG]

So sorry it has to be under these circumstances, but I hope the rest of your visits are better--[​IMG]

If you post your location, maybe someone close to you has extra birds, chicks or hatching eggs--it is a real community here and we help when we can...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  9. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    i feel so for you-dogs are dogs and obviously it either was not owned well or had escaped. should try to find an owner missing such a dog and(totally NOT your fault )explain to them what happened and if they are conscientious they will NOT ever let such a thing happen again. let them know you WILL defend your livestock.i had to kill two crazy beagles and could not find an owner but thats the only incident i have had in 20 yrs of "farm" living.

10. Quote:I would lose my mind if my Corgi went out and took someones birds and was killed in the process. I would feel like it was my fault that I did not train her to stay close to the house. Believe me she has a wonderful life. When we go to the barn we take her with us. She is allowed to go into the horse pasture, but she knows the boundaries.

She is wonderful with the chickens because we trained her to be. I only wish others would put the effort into training their dogs. It is not fair to the animals on either side of the equation.

when the Corgi wonders just a bit too far we call her name and she drops her head and folds her ears. She is always treated when she comes back immediately. She is punished when she does not. Oh, we do not beat her, we just put her up in the mud room for a few days and she gets the message.

We are her world and that is the way it should be. I can not believe that someone would let their pointer run free. Problem is they probably did not want to put the effort into playing with the dog and giving it attention.

We do not have cats for just this reason. If it is not going to be a house cat, then there is no need to let the thing roam and get hurt.

Like I said. I will not tolerate other peoples dogs killing my animals.
    We have been very lucky that we have not had problems with dogs for the last year. The neighbors know my position on the matter. Mostly foxes and hawks are my problem. I will NOT kill a hawk and have sacrificed a few nice layers to their cause. Not that I wanted it to happen, I just can not be there all the time to defend the flock.

I am sorry for your loss, but you need to be a hard nut on this. People will not respect your property until it becomes a problem for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by