1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (WARNING! GRAPHIC!)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by tgperg, May 12, 2011.

1. tgperg

tgperg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    I need some support guys. I just had the worst day ever. EVER. I've had a lot of bird losses this month, predators, new bird died, chick died. Took my rooster to the vet and found out he's a carrier for chronic respiratory disease and so I had to put him down. Still waiting on the final pathology report on the chick I took to the state lab for necropsy and hoping I don't have to depopulate the flock, but I might have to. Anyway, so, in the whole "going from bad to worse" thing, I wanted to do the deed for my poor rooster really fast and quick and painless. I've slaughtered guinea fowl before, so I figured just pithing and slitting his throat would be fastest. I picked up the poor bird, and decided to use a scalpel instead of the knife I used last time, because the knife was kinda dull. Thought the scalpel would be sharpest and fastest. Anyway. I fed Pac a bunch of grain. The kids wanted to help, but I didn't want them to see me kill him, so I said they could help bury him. They agreed. So, I took him out behind the barn, and cuddled him and cried and talked to him about what a good bird he was and how much I loved him, and I fed him all the grain. Then I tucked him up under my arm. I did the pith, and it seemed to bleed a lot. I held his throat and sliced across the jugular, and it bled a lot. I held him until he was still and his breathing was really, really shallow. Then I laid him on the ground and waited with him. He stopped breathing. I picked him up. He was limp. I took him over to the hole I'd dug earlier, and laid him in it. I called the kids over and we prayed. Then we started to cover him up, and I swear, he jumped up OUT OF THE HOLE AND STARTED RUNNING AROUND SPURTING BLOOD EVERYWHERE! He ran to the coop and spurted blood all over the hens who freaked right out and still won't look at me. We caught him, and he was all limp again and we put him back in the hole and he did it again! The third time we put him in the hole I hit him in the head with the shovel and we buried him fast. And as if that wasn't bad enough, just now, well, at 10:30 at night, my baby (3 years old) woke up screaming and sobbing that he "Just don't want to get killed". He'd had a bad dream and decided that if he got sick Mommy was going to kill him with a shovel. I feel like a failure as a farmer AND a mother now. [​IMG] Worst. Day. Ever.

Traci

2. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Ohhh, no. [​IMG]

Bad day for you indeed. I think that you did what was right, and should not feel like a failure in either regard. Perhaps explain to your children that human beings and chickens are both lovely creatures, but there are very big differences. For instance, if a person becomes ill, they are treated by doctors and fixed. Whereas a chicken who gets sick (in that way) can't be fixed. In fact, if you had not done what you did, the chicken would have killed all of the other birds. You are a hero.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Your right. That's a very bad day. I am so sorry! I hope tomorrow is better. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    You did the right thing. Hopefully you can turn thisinto a positive lesson for the kids. You are not a falure as a mother or farmer.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yep.... thats a pretty bad day.. but not as bad a day as the bird had though.
    May i suggest to just chop the head off next time??.... its much more humane and quicker.... IMO
    Sorry about your children seeing all that...wow..... bad bad situation all around... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Oh my, I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard some birds are to kill because I had to kill a predator once, and after I shot it twice in the head, it refused to die and i tied a rope around its neck, oh man it was awful, and then killed it with a shovel. I can't even imagine if my kids were there. It was a hard thing to do, and you did the best you could under the circumstances. We can only learn from our mistakes. Kids are resilient though, and will be ok in the long run. Hope all your other birds are ok

7. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Whoa, that's definitely a bad day... [​IMG] I'm so sorry your family had to endure that. Don't even know what to say beyond that. We've had to bury 3 birds in the last year, and fortunately, they all stayed dead.

Edit: Actually, we would have been more fortunate if they had stayed alive....

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  8. Smith farm

Smith farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    I would not consider yourself a failure as in life things happen and don't always go as we would like them too. You did the right thing and as already suggested you just need to explain to your son in terms he can understand why you had to do what you did. Praying for you and your family [​IMG]

9. tgperg

tgperg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks everybody. We'll have a long talk in the morning, I'm sure. Right now he's curled up asleep and quiet.

Traci

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    WOW is all I can say!! Sorry you had such a horrible experience!! [​IMG]

Put them in a killing cone and letting them bleed out it quite easy too!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by