Terrible new cockerel crow...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jossanne, Feb 10, 2009.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Sunday morning I woke about 6am to a sick child calling out, "Mooooommmmmm," from across the house. Or so I thought! I thought it was my 9yo son. I laid there for a few seconds after it woke me, trying to hear it again, and sure enough, there came the awful call again. I walked towards his room, only to hear the sound coming from behind me - the side of the house where my bedroom is, and where the young roosters' quarters are.

One of my 15wk old BR packing peanuts was learning how to crow! It was the worst sounding little guy I've ever heard, and it kept me awake for the next 30 minutes or so, constantly calling out for "Mooooommmmmmmmmmmmm!"

One of the bantam cochins chimed in with him pretty quickly, and he had a perfect little new crow - I think it was probably the one who's been crowing since he was 7 weeks old...

I hope he hurries up and finds his grown-up crow. Not sure if I can handle "sick child" crows every morning for very long! [​IMG]

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

LOL! I can so identify... this past spring I spent half an hour looking for the baby goat I was certain I'd heard (let's just ignore the fact that I do not own any goats, and neither do my neighbors... [​IMG]

I finally found the culprit -- it was the barred rock cockerel growing into his "big boy pants" [​IMG] It was so funny! [​IMG]

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    LOL at the baby goat! Poor little pathetic guys, they crack me up.

4. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    LOL! Oh man, that is too funny. None of mine have sounded like anything other than roosters. I was sort of hoping for some funny crowing sounds. We do have one hen that keeps us on our toes though. DH and I were in the coop one night and this hen imitated our 4-year-old daughter so perfectly that my husband and I freaked out that she had walked outside the house (in the bitter cold) and was standing just outside of the coop. She wasn't of course -- all snuggled up warm in her bed when I dashed into the house to check.

Here's to hoping your "sick kid" gets better soon! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by