Terrible news

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by farmerkevin, Jan 4, 2014.

1. farmerkevin

farmerkevin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Lost over half my flock.

I re did the coop. Put wood along the bottom of the run, put a front on the coop, secured it really well.

My shepherd actually ran into it running and it held up.

Well the night before last, apparently something broke in. Got the twins (barred rocks) got the producing rir, and one of my game birds is missing. I found my other game bird in a tree and the roo was hunkered in next to my shed. Only known survivors.

Now they aren't interested in eating, and the game bird is just pacing the fence line :'(

I also haven't heard the roo crow this morning :(

Worst part is, I think it was my shepherd. She showed no interest in the chickens when I brought her back here. The pup is kenneled over night. So the shepherd had full run of the yard. Neighbors said that they heard "dogs" attacking the chickens. I only have 1 that isn't kenneled. But my buddy down the street has 2 (mom and son) that are escape artists. The son was hanging out in my yard a couple weeks ago while I was doing chores. So he knows that they are back here. My back fence is only 4' tall and the dogs have been known to climb 8' fences.

I'm so heart broken. I'm sick.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Be alert - whatever did this will be back.

1 person likes this.
  3. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    So sorry for your losses, it is really sickening, i know.

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    SO very sorry! I really, really, really hope it was not your dog!
    that is sad.

5. farmerkevin

Nov 30, 2013
    Well, the blessing in all of this, a neighbors friend had a few he needed to give away. So now I have 4 more. 1 is 3 months, 2 are 5-6 months and one is about a year. The guy had prized roosters that these are the offspring of. One rooster, he paid $500-$600 for. They spoke broken English, and my Spanish is rusty, but I think that's what he said.

So even though mine were attacked, I was able to save some more.

So my next project, money willing is to make a hinged locking door on the coop/house itself.

Pics soon :)

6. farmerkevin

Nov 30, 2013
    They all look like this gal

[​IMG]

7. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    So very sorry for your loss!

Perhaps you can also push up a chair or board HARD against the door at night to help keep it closed while you are awaiting the new system? Best of luck with the new system! It was also super nice of your neighbor to give you the lovely chickens. The hen looks like a gamehen of a sort I'm not readily familiar with.

8. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    How kind of your neighbor to give you some to replace those you lost. I am so sorry that your coop was breached and your birds attacked.

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Be on the lookout tonight, chances are good that the killer(s) will return to the scene of the crime and finish the survivors off. I'd have my gun loaded by the backdoor

10. farmerkevin

Nov 30, 2013

Gonna be camping on the back deck. .22 is sighted in, I did stay up most of last night. Checked on them every 45 minutes to an hour. Had my 9mm on my side just INCASE. This is war

Yeah, pretty nice for my neighbors :) we look out for each other on this dead end dirt road :)

I'm still upset though. My barred rocks were sweethearts. These ones are wild birds. The guy had tons in his back yard. We had to catch these with nets lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by