Terrible, Terrible Thing Happened This Evening... *Warning: Long post, and semi rant!*

Chickenfan4life

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 28, 2012
Planet No
I let the flock out of the coop for some evening free-range time. It was so lovely, with Brewster talking to his hens, and the ladies eating the grass in the red sunshine.

The neighbors had left their chicken coop open, and running over to our property, comes Comet, their aggressive rooster. He stuck around a little while, just messing around the ditch. I just let him be, since he attacks me when I approach him.

Then, he decided to come over to our chickens and start messing around them. This is where all the problems started. That rooster flew at Brewster, who had his back turned.

Comet pinned poor Brewster. Well, those two just kept going at each other. Over and over and over again. I got a big red plastic chicken food scoop, and stepped between the two, like the idiot I am, in a futile attempt to stop them from fighting. Fail!

Brewster flew at me, but realized that I wasn't Comet, and stopped his attack. Comet, on the other hand, is flogging me, hitting my thighs, two feet off the ground. I threw the scoop at him, sending him running, and this is where Merlin, my ultra-mean roo, comes in.

He is aggressive enough with me, without means of being more aggressive. He started attacking me as well, and then the three of them get into a three-way fight. I threw the scoop at Comet, and he took off. Merlin ran after him, and Brewster flogged ME.

Well, I threw the scoop at HIM, aiming for his tail feathers, hoping to scare him off. Well, I did not expect it to knock him in the head. He fell to the ground, and just flopped around for a second. Then, he got up, and took wobbly steps around. I fell beside him, sobbing, and cradled him, but he was scared of me, now.
hit.gif

He recovered, walked off, and led the ladies into the coop. I locked it, and went inside. Now, my only concern is that he might die. Will he be okay?

What should I do about the neighbor's rooster? I have some big plans about chewing him out about keeping his rooster under control!
rant.gif
somad.gif
he.gif
smack.gif

Wow! What an evening you had! Yes, the neighbor needs to control his chicken. No different than an aggressive dog. That being said, no chicken is going to attack me on my property. He clearly thinks he's alpha over you. I think when he goes after you a good boot in the rear that would knock him @*$ over tail feathers might go along way to showing the intruder that he's not the top dog when he comes over for a visit. That advice may anger some folks but if I'm getting attacked by a chicken I'll do what I have to do to protect myself. And, yes, I think just got his bell rung, shook it off, and will be fine. Don't beat yourself up! In fact, his reaction to you shows what Comet's reaction would be should you have to take charge with him.

Wow! What an evening you had! Yes, the neighbor needs to control his chicken. No different than an aggressive dog. That being said, no chicken is going to attack me on my property. He clearly thinks he's alpha over you. I think when he goes after you a good boot in the rear that would knock him @*$ over tail feathers might go along way to showing the intruder that he's not the top dog when he comes over for a visit. That advice may anger some folks but if I'm getting attacked by a chicken I'll do what I have to do to protect myself. And, yes, I think just got his bell rung, shook it off, and will be fine. Don't beat yourself up! In fact, his reaction to you shows what Comet's reaction would be should you have to take charge with him.
Thanks, redsoxs. I definitely had quite an evening!

I'd tell the neighbor the problem you are having. Otherwise, once the rooster disappears another may take its place. Rooster fights are quite dramatic and I'm glad you weren't seriously damaged. Your rooster should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom