Terrible Two you say?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by EmtheFishLady, Jan 26, 2012.

1. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I now know what everyone is talking about. [​IMG] When people warned me about the "Terrible Two" scenario, I assumed I was safe. Lily is almost three after all...I thought we were in the clear...Nope. Nuh Uh. So hmm...what has Lily done the last week? How about taking a bath with the ducklings? Or coloring on the door? Or getting the Sour Cream out of the fridge and spreading it on the floor and skating? Or, did I forget the part where she refuses to wear clothes of any kind? Whoever you are that has my daughter, could you please return her and pick up this naked screech monster you left behind? Please? PLEASE?

It's a good thing she's cute...because I now know why some animals eat their young. [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    LOL! Has she gone through the screaming "NO!" "NO!" "NO!" stages yet? Or screaming when she does not get her way? What you describe sounds more like the trying threes than the terrible twos ;)

She is asserting her independence, which is a good thing. After all, you don't want to wake up some day to a 30 year old who relies on you for each and every decision. The trick is to give her bounds where she can make safe decisions. Some of those bounds are physical, "No, dearest, you cannot go outside without mama." or "Lily, you must stay inside the yard where I can see you." And some of those boundaries are behavior, "WOW! Look at those beautiful colours, but we need to put them on paper so we can keep them and not have to wash them clean." Or "Honey, skating is fun, but someone could slip and hurt themselves on this slippery floor that they are not expecting. Help me wipe it up, please."

Kids need reasons to learn. Yes, you want them to obey because you are the parent, but that usually works best when you give a reason they can understand when you can. Then, if you tell them to "put your shoes away" without a reason, they will either already know why, or be willing to accept that you do have a good reason.

For the clothes, how about letting her go outside without much of anything on when it is really, really cold--that will cure her pretty quickly--just as will walking barefoot on a scorching hot sidewalk. Even at a young 3 my son had absolute ideas about what clothes he liked and did not like, and there was one absolutely adorable outfit that he absolutely refused to wear [​IMG]

3. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    Ah yes, the terrible 2s,3s and 4s. Bringing back memories with that description. Except of the ducks, we had the exact same scenarios. I don't care what people say: the terrible twos last from age 2-4 for us and then angel. My son is now almost 12, and he is the sweetest, most wonderful child I could have ever imagined having. It is trying but it does not last forever. I tell my son when he gets married I am using this stuff for the rehearsal dinner speech.

4. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    Just wait until you are trying to get her out of the store and she yells "HELP!"

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    It's been quite a while since mine were this age (DS is 15, DD is 11). When my kids were tiny, I was a member of a parents' group. DS was a trial as an infant; DD was all sweetness and light. I kept hearing parents saying, "boys get easier as they get older, girls get harder." Ya know what?

THEY WERE RIGHT! [​IMG](anybody know where I can find a bucket?)

6. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Lily had COLIC for the first 4 months of her life...WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT GET'S HARDER?!?![​IMG]

In reality Lily is actually a well behaved kid. We're having a trying week, but I love the little brat and we've had a great day today. I actually didn't mind the door. It was a boring white anyway. I think we'll keep the lovely colors she added to it. The ducks gave me a great video for blackmail as a teenager, and just when I'm ready to rip out my hair...she gives me hugs and kisses. [​IMG]

I mostly posted this so that everyone could have a good laugh at my expense like everyone in my family is doing while reminding me of all the things *I* did. [​IMG]

I'm loving the stories you guys are sharing though...Keep them coming. [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    NO, NO, NO! The musical sounds of a child starting to assert themself. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh, girl, I feel your pain. DS had a world-class case of thrush for 4 months and GERD. He was about 14 months old before he stopped spitting up. I cannot count the number of nights I spent in a recliner, holding him. With his head up, at least he could sleep (me, not so much!)

STARTING? [​IMG]Mine started a lot earlier than that!

DD was just hours old. In the hospital, I could change her diapers, her little shirt, whatever - she was happy as a clam. Let one of those highly skilled and experienced doctors or nurses do it, and she pitched a fit!

She let me know about it about a week later, though. It was bedtime, she was fussy (this kid was born with a schedule). I tried everything I had learned to settle her brother down - no dice. Finally, I put her down on the bed and said in frustration, "what do you want?!" That was it! She relaxed and went right to sleep. What she wanted was for me to leave her alone!!

9. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Lillian was always independent. She wouldn't eat unless she could feed herself from the time she was very small...everything has to be done herself. Mommy is chopped liver most days. [​IMG]

10. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

Has she started the "WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY?"s yet? That's a real joy, not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by